Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Randi Torbert '03

Senior Sales Manager,
Grande Lakes Orlando
(Maiden name: Randi Cohan)

q: What do you do?
a: I am a Senior Sales Manager for both The Ritz-Carlton & JW Marriott Orlando, with my main goal being to book corporate and association group business. My territory includes association, corporate and SMERF business, out of the Southeast between 51-300 rooms on a peak night. I handle everything from the initial contact through the signing of the contract. My normal day includes responding to client RFPs, working on proposals, conducting site visits, traveling to see clients or negotiating contracts.
q: What's your favorite part of the job?
a: When the client signs the contract! The process can be long and working out the details of a successful contract can be tedious. It is always a great feeling, however, when both the client and myself can agree upon terms that are mutually beneficial.
q: What's the greatest challenge?
a: Today's economy has made all of our jobs more challenging. Meeting planners' budgets are being scruitinized further and everyone is looking for the best deal.
q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?
a: Lindsay Dorf '03, Kelly McGann '03, and all of the alums here at Grande Lakes Orlando.
q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?
a: Playing with my two little boys in the backyard or in the pool. Also, I go to most of the UCF football games!
q: Your biggest accomplishment since graduating, outside your career?
a: Marrying my husband Brian, who is also a UCF graduate, and having my kids Alex (2 1/2) & Sean (10 months).
q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?
a: I was involved in a few social organizations which taught me how to network and build relationships. These skills are essential for sales.
q: How could the hospitality program have been better?
a: There could be a broader focus on some other careers within the hospitality industry. The curriculum was heavily focused on certain job tracks within restaurants and event management, but there are many specialized career niches that weren't presented to us.
q: A UCF memory?
a: My best memory is the surprise party my friends held for my 19th birthday. It was a great time filled with great laughs and good times. This is also the night I met my husband, who came to the party with a mutual friend.
q: Favorite meal in Orlando?
a: With the kids: Sweet Mama's - a great little place off of Narcoossee Road. Without the kids: Primo Restaurant - I love to order a warm bowl of Zeppoles with gelato on the side.
q: On your iPod?
a: Mostly Top 40.
q: Little known fact about you?
a: I perfomed in the '99 Superbowl half-time show in Miami.

No comments:

Post a Comment