Friday, February 26, 2010

Jeff Carcara '92


Director of Operations,
Seasons 52

q: What do you do?
a: Lead all operations for the Darden restaurant chain to ensure consistency and excellence across the entire dining experience. My responsibilities include...well, just about everything except marketing...including overseeing the field directors, financial reporting, hiring new managers and restaurant openings. A Seasons 52 just opened in Tampa and we're in the process of adding locations in King of Prussia, PA, Schaumburg, IL and Costa Mesa, CA. I've been doing lots of traveling.
q: What's your favorite part of the job?
a: Being in the restaurants and making an impact. I like inspiring the managers to in turn inspire their teams. I draw my energy from the guests and team members - something like how Superman gets his energy from the sun.
q: What's the greatest challenge?
a: Finding great people to help grow our company.
q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?
a: I see Jeff D'Arpa '94 every few years. I have stayed connected with UCF in general, having had season football tickets since I graduated and recently joined the Dean's Advisory Board of the Rosen College of Hospitality Management.
q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?
a: On the sidelines of one of my son's football games, or taking my daughter to her dance classes.
q: Your biggest accomplishment since graduating, outside your career?
a: My family. I'm proud of maintaining and growing my relationship with my wife and kids.
q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?
a: My college time prepared me for the social aspect of this business.
q: Your favorite class?
a: Quantity Food Preparation. Our class ran a restaurant, and that experience helped me decide what to do with my career.
q: How could the hospitality program have been better?
a: Having had the resources available to today's students. A separate campus allows them to learn with fewer distractions. A focus in the program should be on teaching how to find, inspire and retain good employees, because people are what differentiates one company from the next.
q: A UCF memory?
a: My internship at Bennigan's in Casselberry. I met my wife there! I also had a great GM who empowered me to learn the business.
q: Favorite meal in Orlando?
a: At Seasons 52, I'd have the BBQ shrimp flatbread, organic green salad with truffle dressing and swordfish ponzu, with a glass of the Mulderbosch Sauvignon Blanc, plus a pecan pie mini indulgence.
q: On your iPod?
a: 90's Rock like U2, Pearl Jam and the Dave Matthews Band.
q: Little known fact about you?
a: I've started writing a book about the hospitality business. It's a real-life tale on how to succeed; for instance, part of success is never feeling comfortable. I'm up to page 43.

No comments:

Post a Comment