Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Jessica Crespo '05

Senior Meetings and Special Events Manager
The Ritz-Carlton Orlando, Grande Lakes
Maiden Name: Jessica Solomon


q: What do you do?
a: I help produce successful meetings and events for groups visiting The Ritz-Carlton Orlando. I'm the main point of contact for their meeting planners to coordinate audio visual, catering, décor and room requests. I act as the "voice of the meeting planner" to each pertinent hotel department. This helps set up the Ladies and Gentlemen who work at The Ritz-Carlton for success.
q: What's your favorite part of the job?
a: Building strong bonds not only with loyal, repeat clients, but also with the people I'm fortunate enough to work with on a daily basis within the hotel. I love that everyone's committed to do whatever it takes to make each program or event the very best. It's truly an extended family here because we're together so much with the long hours we work. Every day brings new challenges and, in turn, new innovations. This keeps the hospitality industry interesting.
q: What's the greatest challenge?
a: The expectations of the seasoned meeting planner or bride are constantly increasing. Meetings and weddings have evolved over the past few years and we are constantly pushing boundaries and trying to come up with new, innovative solutions and offerings for our guests.
q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?
a: Yes, with many who work here at the hotel and within the local industry, including Jason Ring '07, Marissa Moore '07, Holly Steinebronn '07, Julie Noda '05, Candi Evett '06, Joe Manglardi '08 and Brianna Callahan '05. They keep me in touch with the luxury market of Orlando.
q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?
a: Taking advantage of my beautiful downtown neighborhood. I often spend weekends at the farmers' market with my dogs, riding my bike and enjoying brunch with my husband and friends.
q: Your biggest accomplishment since graduating, outside your career?
a: Getting married to my husband two years ago, after we dated throughout college.
q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?
a: Certain hospitality classes taught me things that are useful in my current position, such as hospitality law and classes geared towards wine knowledge.
q: Your favorite class?
a: Exploring Wines of the World.
q: How could the hospitality program have been better?
a: It would be beneficial for UCF to continue to seek new partnerships with local hotels and restaurants, and focus on strengthening its current partnerships. Professors should teach students that a management job directly out of college is not the norm; rather, it is the exception. Students need to focus on experience and internships to secure the jobs they ultimately want. My first position with The Ritz-Carlton was as an hourly concierge, which prepared me extremely well for my current position.
q: A UCF memory?
a: I have many fond memories of my sorority sisters from Kappa Delta. They include volunteering, planning Homecoming events and Spirit Splash.
q: Favorite meal in Orlando?
a: Either El Coqui Mexican/Puerto Rican cuisine on Bumby or Sea Thai on Colonial.
q: On your iPod?
a: Citizen Cope, Kings of Leon, Jay Z, The Black Keys, Black Eyed Peas, Stephen Marley, Sam Sparro, Santigold, Common, Kanye West.
q: Little known fact about you?
a: I met my husband on Spring Break in Daytona Beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment