Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Patrick O'Neal '08


Food and Beverage Assistant Manager,
Hilton Orlando

 
q: What do you do?
a: I'm a roving manager with responsibilities for all seven of our restaurant outlets. This encompasses fine dining, casual dining, breakfast, lunch, pool service, room service, and quick service. I need to understand every employee’s role in the operation.
q: What's your favorite part of the job?
a: Working with the best in the business. From top to bottom, Hilton Orlando’s 800 employees make an elite team. I consider myself extremely fortunate to learn from such an innovative and dynamic group. I come into work every day with a passion to gain something new.
q: What's the greatest challenge?
a: Our hotel opened in September 2009, so the greatest and most rewarding challenge is putting all the operating systems in place. Every outlet is very different, and fine tuning policies and procedures takes a lot of brainpower and teamwork. It’s an effort that involves employee feedback, guest feedback, and leadership input. There are no precedents to follow, and every big group in house is a new challenge.
q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?
a: I keep in contact with Giancarlo Lanfranco '08, Kelly Smith '08, Mickey Grier '09, and Andrea Chinea '09. I grew up with Laird Boles '02 and Jeff Boles '09. They are very close friends of mine.
q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?
a: I love playing golf and fishing. I live in Delaney Park so you might see me at Burton’s and Sportstown, but I’m rarely out of work!
q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?
a: Public speaking taught me how to control my nerves. I really hated it my first semester, but all the repetition was priceless. If you want to be a leader, public speaking is a must.
q: Your favorite class?
a: Among many others, I enjoyed Hospitality & Tourism Marketing with Dr. Sandra Naipaul, and also Hospitality Communications with Carole Dickson.
q: How could the hospitality program have been better?
a: I believe that the cafeteria should be the best in the nation. There is no reason to contract the service to an outside company. If Three Pillars Café could be woven into the curriculum of Restaurant Management students, it could be beneficial to all parties.
q: A UCF memory?
a: I thoroughly enjoyed my time spent at Rosen; my best memory is graduating, and reflecting back on all UCF did for me.
q: Favorite meal in Orlando?
a: Linda’s La Cantina has amazing steaks and is very nostalgic to me.
q: On your iPod?
a: Live Widespread Panic! I love those guys.
q: Little known fact about you?
a: My high school was Culver Military Academy in Culver, Indiana. Notable alumni include George Steinbrenner, Bud Adams, Eugene Eppley, Hal Holbrook, Lamar Hunt, Roger Penske, and Gene Siskel.

No comments:

Post a Comment