Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Zulkeira Rodriguez '07

Event Sales Coordinator,
ICEBAR Orlando


q: What do you do?
a: Plan parties for convention groups at ICEBAR on International Drive, the largest ice bar in North America. Part of the venue is kept at 27º F and carved from more than 50 tons of ice. My job is primarily sales, but I also manage details including décor and catering; for instance, a company having a team-building event in June will have a professional mixologist teach their guests how to create their own drinks, followed by a contest to see who can create the best original drink. We can host corporate groups or private parties up to 475 guests.
q: What's your favorite part of the job?
a: This is a celebrity attraction. Earlier this week the Food Network was here filming for an upcoming show.
q: What's the greatest challenge?
a: Our concept is unique and successful for visiting groups, but we have a more difficult time with individual locals. Restaurants on Sand Lake Road with happy hours and food are competition. Also I think locals remember the $40 admission to the ICEBAR when we first opened a year and a half ago. It is completely free to come to the Fire Lounge (warm part of the club) and now only $14.95 to enter the ICEBAR if you purchase your tickets online.
q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?
a: Ralph Robinson '06, Sullyann Gonzalez '07, Mickey Grier '09 and Jessica Rivers '09.
q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?
a: At a Magic game...I'm a season ticket holder.
q: Your biggest accomplishment since graduating, outside your career?
a: I'm currently working toward my Certificate in Event Management from Rosen College. This will earn me points toward becoming a CMP (Certified Meeting Planner).
q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?
a: It taught me about the networking organizations I needed to join. The faculty all gave us real world advice. The hospitality industry loves Rosen College. I know of several companies that will only hire Rosen graduates.
q: Your favorite class?
a: The History of Wine.
q: How could the hospitality program have been better?
a: It's critical that an event software course be added, specifically including CAD (like MeetingMatrix), banquet event orders and automated proposals. Nearly every event position involves RFPs. I interviewed for a job and did not get it because I hadn't used a certain type of software.
q: A UCF memory?
a: Tailgating at the football games.
q: Favorite meal in Orlando?
a: At KOBÉ Japanese Steakhouse. I'm a VIP cardholder and go there for every special occasion like my birthday and graduation.
q: On your iPod?
a: Anything that has a good beat, like Lil Wayne, MIA, Kings of Leon, The Fray and Missy Elliott.
q: Little known fact about you?
a: I have five star tattoos.

No comments:

Post a Comment