Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Elizabeth Ford '08

Proprietor,
Super Suppers, Winter Springs

q: What do you do?

a: My company provides "Take n’ Bake" prepared entrees, sides and desserts. I manage the employees and all aspects of the business including food preparation, packaging, customer service, finances and marketing. We sell over 500 healthy, homemade meals to busy people each week.  
q: What's your favorite part of the job?
a: I love people and I love food, so this is the perfect business for me. I enjoy the customers and making the meals. I'm from a huge family and we've always enjoyed cooking together.
q: What's the greatest challenge?
a: Making sure we have enough food. If I try to forecast based on past weeks, we end up getting extra customers and I'm making last-minute runs to buy food! We offer 22 different entrées so it's a lot to manage.
q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?
a: Courtney Piggott '10 who will graduate from Rosen College next week, works here in the store. I also stay in touch with Lindsay Shaffer '08.
q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?
a: At Universal Studios; I love roller coasters!
q: Your biggest accomplishment since graduating?
a: Becoming a business owner more quickly than I thought I would. I was working here at Super Suppers when the owner decided to sell it. I couldn't let down all the customers so thought...why not? With two partners I was able to buy it. 
q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?
a: I wouldn't know how to run a business otherwise! I loved everything about Rosen College; it gave me the guidance, tools and knowledge I need to be successful. The ServSafe Food Safety® class was extremely important to what I do every day, knowing how to handle food and the correct temperatures.
q: Your favorite class?
a: Quantity Food Production. Where else can you learn to cut an apple into a smiley face? I changed my major three times at UCF but found a home at Rosen College - this is something I really enjoy!
q: How could the hospitality program have been better?
a: More hands-on classes like the food prep class. This was more helpful than group projects.
q: A UCF memory?
a: The football championship games...traveling to Memphis for the Liberty Bowl in 2007, and to St. Pete for the Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl in 2009.
q: Favorite meal in Orlando?
a: Chicken and shrimp cooked on a rock, at the Colorado Fondue Company in Casselberry. Also, their cheese fondue!
q: On your iPod?
a: Rap, R&B and country music.
q: Little known fact about you?
a: My Dad graduated from UCF in 1979. We're die-hard UCF sports fans and have season tickets for basketball and football. Our tailgates are impressive crab boils!

No comments:

Post a Comment