Thursday, April 15, 2010

Lindsey Cullen '09

Event Coordinator,
Il Mulino New York Trattoria

q: What do you do?

a: Marketing and sales for the Italian restaurant at the Walt Disney World Swan. With a large number of small private flexible spaces, we can host a private reception or party with a customized group menu for up to 400 guests.
q: What's your favorite part of the job?
a: The food! The general atmosphere...it's easy to sell...and people too. This is a nice family. I have worked here almost three years, previously as a supervisor at the pool restaurant. I helped opened the cabanas after their renovation.
q: What's the greatest challenge?
a: Juggling everything and taking time for myself. Today alone there are four events. Also, walking in heels for many hours at a time. The floors here are slick!
q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?
a: Valerie Davis '06 works here at Shula's. My two roommates Erica Yerton '08 and Courtney Landl '08 also work here at the Walt Disney Swan and Dolphin Resort.
q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?
a: At happy hours in the Sand Lake Area, or at the gym.
q: Your biggest accomplishment since graduating, outside your career?
a: I just graduated in December, so getting this full-time job while in school is my big triumph. I beat out highly qualified candidates, including some who had already graduated from Rosen College.
q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?
a: It taught me how to talk to people...to be personable and hospitable. It also taught me to be patient with people, which is so important. Kathie Canning, who works full-time at the Orange County Convention Center, taught my event sales class and helped us develop these important communication skills.
q: Your favorite class?
a: Dr. Mary Jo Ross was my favorite professor. My favorite course was Event Design, Production and Technology with Jennifer Janette, who works full-time at Hello Florida!
q: How could the hospitality program have been better?
a: The events held at the Rosen campus, particularly the capstone projects for seniors, need to be more organized. Since we focus on event management, it should be an easy streamlined process.
q: A UCF memory?
a: Planning and hosting the Mad Hatter Brunch at Rosen College, for Andrea St. Onge's Event Management II class.
q: Favorite meal in Orlando?
a: I love Seasons 52. I order something different every time, mostly new offerings from their seasonal menus.
q: On your iPod?
a: Anything that's happy. I need to get pumped up for my job! I have an eclectic mix, from country music to Jay-z and Fergie. 
q: Little known fact about you?
a: I'm from Kansas. I came here for Rosen College's Event Management program and will never move back.

No comments:

Post a Comment