Friday, January 16, 2009

Stacie Cornell '01

Director of Events and Councils
Home Builders Association of Metro Orlando

q: What do you do?

a: For two and a half years, I've managed the events for an 1100-member association which can range from mini-golf to a bus tour for real estate agents. I also work with speciality councils within the group including the sales and marketing council, design council and Hispanic council. My schedule varies as I could work 60 hours one week and 40 the next; I do in-house marketing, manage budgets and attend lots of event-planning meetings.


q: What's your favorite part of the job?

a: I like to "be the hostess", putting on the events and enjoy working with the passionate volunteers. I knew this is what I wanted to do even while in school, rather than the hotel side of the industry, and worked at an association in D.C. right after graduating from the College of Business.

q: What's the greatest challenge?

a: Sponsorship dollars. Members don't have the money right now, due to the real estate economy, so I'm having to come up with creative ways to keep the cost of events down.


q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?

a: Every day I see Robyn Roberts '06 who works at the front desk of the HBA.


q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?

a: At home with my husband and daughter, who's almost two.

q: Your biggest accomplishment since graduating, outside your career?
a: Buying a house.

q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?

a: Teaching us the "lingo" of the event industry. The coursework in trade shows was especially helpful, taught by an adjunct professor who was working at the convention center. Also I use the finance and computer skills daily for my budgets, especially Excel.


q: How could the hospitality program have been better?

a: I wish the Event Management track was offered when I was at UCF.

q: A UCF memory?

a: Mostly good times with my sorority. Chris Muller also made a big impression.


q: Favorite meal in Orlando?

a: Tijuana Flats for lunch. There's something addicting in it.


q: On your iPod?

a: I don't have one but if I did, there'd be lots of soulful music like Alicia Keyes.

q: Little known fact about you?

a: I have a chihuahua.

No comments:

Post a Comment