Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Erin Durning '05

Sales and Marketing Manager,
Dubsdread Golf Course


q: What do you do?
a: Promote and manage group golf sales for Dubsdread Golf Course, which is owned by the City of Orlando and managed by Kitson & Partners. This can include any groups of eight or more people, including pre-wedding outings, charity tournaments, and corporate events. Most book very far in advance; right now I'm putting together an event for 2011! All food and beverage is handled by the Tap Room, which is a completely separate entity so I only handle golf. Part of my job is being out-and-about, promoting Dubsdread - recently renovated and reopened in July '08 - at networking events and to local businesses.
q: What's your favorite part of the job?
a: People are happy when they're golfing. I enjoy meeting all the people who come to Dubsdread and building relationships with them so they'll come back to hold their tournaments here, year after year.
q: What's the greatest challenge?
a: In this economy, getting corporate sponsors and players for charity tournaments. Thankfully events are still successful with an average of 80-100 players versus 144 in past years, because bidding on auction items is a large percentage of the charity's total profit.
q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?
a: Adam Bailey '05 who works at an event-planning company called The Coordinator.
q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?
a: Definitely at L.A. Fitness. I live in Thornton Park, so frequent places like Shari Sushi and Hue quite a bit too.
q: Your biggest accomplishment since graduating, outside your career?
a: Serving on the board of directors for a non-profit called COMPACT, which helps reduce the number of student drop-outs by providing mentors. It's been rewarding to follow the stories of high school kids and hear about them going on to college, and also meeting influential people who help the charity.
q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?
a: The Yacht, Country and City Club Management course inspired me to pursue a career in golf. At that time, the class was held in a portable behind the Classroom Building on Main Campus. The computer and accounting courses were extremely valuable too; I use Excel worksheets with formulas I learned for nearly everything I do, including sales contracts and the reports I prepare for the City of Orlando.
q: How could the hospitality program have been better?
a: I disliked the Quantity Food Production class, especially knowing I wouldn't use the knowledge after graduation. Also, I lived on Main Campus since at the time Rosen College didn't have the dorms and pool.
q: A UCF memory?
a: Since I was from out of state, joining a sorority gave me the opportunity to meet so many people, including my fiance (also a UCF grad) who I've dated for seven years. It was great for socializing and getting involved with charity work.
q: Favorite meal in Orlando?
a: The Boston roll and Mexican roll at Seito Sushi in Baldwin Park.
q: On your iPod?
a: Being from New Jersey, I love Bon Jovi. Every Bon Jovi CD ever released is loaded on my iPod. Even when I shuffle it randomly, every other song is Bon Jovi.
q: Little known fact about you?
a: I was a gymnast for 14 years and almost chose a college in Maryland so I could be on its gymnastics team. I ended up choosing UCF, even though it didn't have gymnastics, because I wanted to live in Florida.

No comments:

Post a Comment