Thursday, April 9, 2009

Megan Casey '07

Event Planner,
Orlando/Orange County Convention & Visitors Bureau


q: What do you do?

a: I help plan events for the 1300 or so members of our private, not-for-profit trade association. Also, I assist the PR and convention sales departments with media blitzes and press trips. In June, I'll be in Chicago promoting Orlando.

q: What's your favorite part of the job?
a: I'm doing something different every day, and get to interact with our members.
q: What's the greatest challenge?
a: Juggling a large number of projects. We have them scheduled for the entire year, but with the tumultuous economy, some are canceled or changed at the last minute. New projects are often added at the last minute.
q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?
a: Even better...the professors! I see Dr. Deborah Breiter and Suzan Bunn on a regular basis at Meeting Professionals International (MPI) events.
q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?
a: In Downtown Orlando.
q: Your biggest accomplishment since graduating, outside your career?
a: Buying my first home in Avalon Park.
q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?
a: Completely - since I wouldn't have my job if it weren't for Rosen College. Misty Johantgen, V.P. of Member Services for the Orlando CVB was a guest speaker in one of my classes and offered an internship opportunity. Since positions at the association pretty much never become available, I was thankful to be able to stay on after graduation. Rosen College professors provided valuable information because they weren't just teachers, but experts who actually worked in the industry.
q: How could the hospitality program have been better?
a: I feel the requirement of a paid internship was to my detriment. I had to turn down two amazing internship opportunities because they wouldn't pay me, and work as a hostess. That did not provide a valuable learning experience. After I completed my required three semesters in that paid job, the unpaid Orlando CVB internship is where I became inspired and immersed in the industry.
q: A UCF memory?
a: Football games and tailgating, without a doubt. Because Rosen College is secluded, and such a distance from Main Campus, football games were what made me feel like a UCF student.
q: Favorite meal in Orlando?
a: The tuna roll and seaweed salad at Shari Sushi.
q: On your iPod?
a: Everything from Britney Spears to Billy Joel.
q: Little known fact about you?
a: I'm afraid of all lizards.

No comments:

Post a Comment