Thursday, September 24, 2009

Joshua Ruck '06

Front Office Manager,
Waldorf Astoria, Orlando


q: What do you do?
a: Manage all "front of house" functions for the brand new 497-room Waldorf Astoria opening on October 1, 2009. This includes the front desk, bell stand, concierge, pre-arrival department and guest amenities. Since this is the first Waldorf Astoria outside the original in New York, it's a tremendous opportunity for me to help build a new luxury brand.
q: What's your favorite part of the job?
a: Working in a luxurious environment. I've had the pleasure of working in luxury hotels throughout my career, starting with the Ritz-Carlton during college. I moved to South Florida to help open the Turnberry Isle Resort & Club for Fairmont Hotels. After that, I helped Kimpton Hotels revive the EPIC Hotel in Downtown Miami. There are so many amazing people and leaders of industry who you meet on an every day basis. I've got a data bank of stories.
q: What's the greatest challenge?
a: Right now, the immense number of details involved with opening a hotel. You wouldn't believe how many vendors it takes. There are so many people and companies here on property with different tasks, and literally hundreds of thousands of parts arriving to the hotel in boxes.
q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?
a: I'm very close with Jada Young-Hatchett '05 who also works here, Denise Mope '03, M.S. '05, and Cristin Suntzenich '06.
q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?
a: In Thornton Park: drinking wine, enjoying brunch, or at the Farmer's Market. That's the best way to spend the weekend.
q: Your biggest accomplishment since graduating, outside your career?
a: Moving with my career and the great experiences that came with it. The EPIC became the #1 hotel in Miami and got five stars on TripAdvisor. It was such a fun place to work since we were featured in music videos, fashion shows and T.V. shows.
q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?
a: I loved being on Main Campus my first few years. I toured several hotel schools before making my decision where to go and have to say that UCF came through with everything it promised. The required work experience was such a plus because I would learn something in class and literally go into work and apply it to my job the same day.
q: How could the hospitality program have been better?
a: Fewer group projects. It was difficult to coordinate hours with other students who were also working while going to school. More individual projects would be a good complement to the group projects. In real life, when your boss hands you an assignment, it's not always a team effort. It's your own responsibility to get it done.
q: A UCF memory?
a: Burning the hair off my hand. This happened while making Bananas Foster in the kitchen on Main Campus, for the Quantity Food Preparation class. It was for a dinner for guests to UCF and another student and I volunteered to light the Bananas Foster in the dark. Spirit Splash is also unforgettable.
q: Favorite meal in Orlando?
a: This is a tough question since I've tried pretty much every restaurant in Orlando. A favorite is Hue, where I often order the grilled chicken with balsamic flat bread and the pecan pie tower.
q: On your iPod?
a: House music. I loved the music scene living in Miami and go every year to hear the DJs at the Winter Music Conference and Ultra Music Festival.
q: Little known fact about you?
a: I've visited all 48 contiguous states. I'll get to Alaska and Hawaii soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment