Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Tess Honan '07

Catering and Convention Services Manager,
Disney Resort Destinations


q: What do you do?
a: I plan and oversee events at Walt Disney World’s BoardWalk Resort, the smallest and most intimate of Walt Disney World’s five convention resorts in Central Florida. I work with groups ranging from two people to 200, providing a one stop service for groups across all of Walt Disney World. This can include everything from business meetings to resort socials in locations such as the ballrooms at our resort to private rooms within some of Walt Disney World’s signature restaurants as well as three of our four theme parks and both water parks. With 47 square miles to plan events in, the possibilities are endless. For instance, I just worked with a gentleman who wanted to plan a memorable experience for 20 of his family members to celebrate their parents’ golden anniversary. I helped him create three socials events at different Walt Disney World venues within the 12 days that they stayed with us. There are times that I can have as many as six groups in-house at once, but it's my job to make sure that each and every client feels like they're our only client, and create a seamless process for clients and their guests.
q: What's your favorite part of the job?
a: The instant gratification when the client and guests are "wowed" when they walk into an event that we have collaborated on together for many months. When their expectations are blown out of the water, it makes all the work of planning the event worthwhile (these plans can take as long as two years or as little as a few days). At Walt Disney World, we are literally creating special moments for clients, attendees and their families – creating memories that are magical and last a lifetime.
q: What's the greatest challenge?
a: Many times clients will change their plans mid-stream, which is to be expected, but can create challenges. Also, in today’s economy, I find the need to help our clients think outside the box and be realistic about what can be done within their budgets. Most often we find ourselves in the role of a teacher and confidant as we successfully partner with our client to create a successful event.
q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?
a: Jamie Grupy Moffses '06, who works at Walt Disney World’s Yacht and Beach Club in Catering & Convention Services; Amy Kong '07; Megan Embrey Bracciale '07 and Stefanie Hicks '06, who all work at Walt Disney World’s Hollywood Studios.
q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?
a: Relaxing at my house or my parents’ house. My family is my heart, soul and purpose for living which is why The Walt Disney Company is the perfect place for me. The company and I share many of the same values You many also find me at the dog park with my two dogs, or winding down the week at one of Orlando’s wine bars.
q: Your biggest accomplishment since graduating, outside your career?
a: Becoming an entry level Sommelier. I completed the entry level course and am working towards the certified Sommelier Diploma. I also was lucky enough to marry the love of my life who I met at age 15 in my mother’s hair salon, and buy a house in our hometown of Apopka.
q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?
a: You wouldn't hire a neurosurgeon who hadn't done a residency, right? Rosen College was my residency because it wasn't the typical classroom setting. We had the opportunity for hands-on learning as we produced real live events. It is one thing to sit in a classroom and talk about terms like attrition, but completely different to experience these terms in action through hands-on experiences. This type of learning and true industry training is invaluable.
q: How could the hospitality program have been better?
a: The internal communication of professors with their academic plans and coordinating the class projects. It would be easier for students to understand the whole process and how a successful event pieces together if they were able to work on the menu in food prep class, the budget in accounting class and the strategic planning in event management class. The results would be one large impressive senior event instead of multiple smaller scale projects.
q: A UCF memory?
a: Working with Dr. Breiter to become the first person to graduate from the University of Central Florida with a Bachelor's Degree in Event Management. I had bounced around and changed my major from law to business to marketing. However when the Bachelor’s Degree in Event Management was announced, I was determined to get the degree and still graduate within my original four year college timeline. During my last year, I took 24 credit hours in the Fall and 28 hours in the Spring. I had the opportunity to assist Dr. Breiter and other faculty members in creating and developing the curriculum. At the same time, I was working full-time at Walt Disney World as one of the ten students chosen to be the very first Rosen College interns with their Resort Parks Sales and Services division. I owe a lot of thanks to Dr. Breiter as I got to where I am because of her mentorship and nurturing, as she took me under her wing.
q: Favorite meal in Orlando?
a: Being that family is so important to me, there is nothing better than my Mother's home cooked meals at my parent’s house. My Mom (bless her) cooks for us almost every night, in fact it’s hard to say the last time my husband and I went grocery shopping! When we decide to go out for a night on the town a favorite spot is Highland Manor in Apopka. It's a new restaurant with a phenomenal chef/owner and very innovative American Bistro menu. I also can never pass up the oak-grilled filet mignon with macaroni and cheese at Walt Disney World’s Animal Kingdom Lodge signature restaurant Jiko’s and nothing can beat the fresh seafood at Walt Disney World’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa restaurant Narcoossee’s.
q: On your iPod?
a: Since I have a 30 to 45 minute ride to work (just can’t give up small town living), I listen to a lot of classic radio stories like those by Agatha Christie. My music is always a crazy mix that includes Frank Sinatra, Kenny Chesney, Lady Gaga and Disney Classics. In fact I was just listening to The Cheshire Cat Song in my office.
q: Little known fact about you?
a: I've worked at all five Walt Disney World Resorts in Central Florida, and on six of seven Catering and Convention Services teams.

1 comment:

  1. I happen to be the above mentioned gentlemen who planned a 12 day trip for 20+ family members and I must say that Tess sells herself short. A memorable experience is what was expected...An experince of a life time is what we had. An experience that could never had been possible without Tess. As you can imagine, a trip that long with a group that large was tough enough to manage and in a place like Disney World, it was almost impossible, then Tess stepped in. She took care of absolutley everything. If we wanted it, she was there...If we needed it, she was there...She took care of things we didn't even think of and time after time she made the impossible become possible. She was a God send and 6 months later I still have family members that have tears brought to their eyes when they think back to that amazing vacation that she helped bring to fruition. Thank You Tess and Thank You UCF your role in creating the Hospitality Superstar!!!

    ReplyDelete