Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Wendy Bingham '04

Senior Sales Manager,
Embassy Suites Orlando - International Drive

Master of Science, Hospitality and Tourism Management '04


q: What do you do?
a: Manage the convention and association market sales for a 244-suite hotel. Because of our location on International Drive, 60% of the people who stay at this Embassy Suites are part of a group. My day can include reviewing contracts, responding to request for proposals, cold calling, following up with potential and past clients, site visits, and working on special marketing projects.
q: What's your favorite part of the job?
a: Negotiating - yes, in a sick, twisted way, I enjoy teaching people about our brand and why our rates are worth it. I also love the relationship-driven nature of sales. In addition to previously working as a wedding planner for a local company, my progression with Hilton Hotels Corporation over seven years has been from Front Desk to Sales Coordinator to Catering Manager to Sales Manager to Senior Sales Manager.
q: What's the greatest challenge?
a: Competitors are slashing their rates to unrealistic levels. Additionally they will throw in a free reception and free breakfast, which were some of the advantages of our property. We are staying tough though and it's working. When I can get potential clients to come see the difference in person, they will choose Embassy Suites practically 100% of the time.
q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?
a: Tiffany Littlefield Perez '04 is our Director of Front Office Operations. I also stay in touch with Wendy Rosales Malik '07 and Lee Malik '06, Nila Kusher '99, M.S. '05 and Hope Wehrle '02, M.S. '04, as well as professors Deborah Breiter, Judy Holcomb and Scott Smith. Scott takes credit for my marriage since he encouraged me to pursue a position at Embassy Suites North, where I met my husband Warren, UCF '05.
q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?
a: At home, with my husband and seven month old son.
q: Your biggest accomplishment since graduating, outside your career?
a: My family. I have a great marriage.
q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?
a: The hands-on experiences, like working on a fund raiser for Dr. Mary Jo Ross, helped us "cut our teeth" and get some direction for our careers. It's one thing to say you want to go into hospitality or events, but there are so many different niches and you don't know what's going to be for you until you explore them in real life.
q: How could the hospitality program have been better?
a: It could have been even more hands-on. Also, students need to be given a reality check of what the industry's all about. We interview graduating students who have the perception that they can go right into management, but they need to work up the ranks like I did.
q: A UCF memory?
a: Going behind the scenes at the IAAPA (International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions) convention with Dr. Breiter. Our class got to go up on the rigging and catwalk. The show featured everything that was cutting edge for theme parks; seeing it was an experience I'll never forget.
q: Favorite meal in Orlando?
a: Fondue at The Melting Pot. I look forward to going there for my birthday in November. I like that it's a process, not just a meal.
q: On your iPod?
a: I don't have an iPod. I'm pretty low-tech except for my Tivo! I mostly play children's songs in my car, but also listen to 80's and country.
q: Little known fact about you?
a: My undergraduate degree from the University of Florida was in Forest Science. I worked on the genetic optimization of trees, to make them more disease resistant, and worked at International Paper after graduation. I still have an interest in Forestry.

No comments:

Post a Comment