Friday, February 27, 2009

Valerie Davis '06

Event Coordinator & Business Development Manager
Shula's Steak House
Walt Disney World Dolphin Hotel


q: What do you do?
a: I coordinate small events (8-10 people) up to large business functions of 80-100 people within the private and semi-private dining areas of the steak house. This involves setting up table arrangements, group menus, special hors d-oeuvres and wines for dinners and receptions. Sales and marketing is a big aspect of my job, promoting the services to locals as well as transient convention business.
q: What's your favorite part of the job?

a: Working with different people around the hotel as well as the prospective clients; I work with families setting up rehearsal dinners as well as huge corporations and love seeing the outcome of the events. I also like that I'm not just sitting in the office; we get out and network with concierge associations and visitors' bureaus.


q: What's the greatest challenge?

a: The troubled economy is definitely a big factor. Corporations are experiencing budget cuts and not planning as many dinners as they used to with their groups. I also face daily challenges with customers who change their minds constantly or plan/cancel their events last minute

q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?
a: Taryn Dorsey '07.

q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?
a: Exploring different restaurants, shopping and taking mini-getaways to Miami with my boyfriend.

q: Your biggest accomplishment since graduating, outside your career?
a: Settling down in my new home, and learning how to surf!

q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?
a: I learned how to network. I enjoyed how my teachers also worked in the industry and gave us so many real-life ideas every day. When we set up a fashion show in my events class, we learned so many important details - from setting up A/V equipment and decor to costuming and catering - very hands-on!

q: How could the hospitality program have been better?
a: With easier access to get into classes; many were closed before I even had the chance to look. Wine class at 10:30 in the morning?

q: UCF memories?
a: My sorority and dorm life.

q: Favorite meal in Orlando?
a: Steak Maryanne with sauteed mushrooms and Le Mistral at Shula's of course! I also love BlueZoo's Teapan seared scallops with a little Conundrum.

q: On your iPod?

a: I don't have one!


q: Little known fact about you?

a: I'm a Native Floridian and only child.

No comments:

Post a Comment