Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Sullyann Gonzalez '07


Event Manager, Office Manager & Sales Representative
Rapco Supply


q: What do you do?
a: I'm in charge of events, marketing, sales, accounting and human resources for an air conditioning and appliance parts company. We've been in business 23 years and specialize in distributing appliances and parts to hotels, resorts, apartments and condos throughout Florida.
q: What's your favorite part of the job?
a: Forming relationships with clients, planning employee incentives and traveling to events. We're active members of CFHLA, AAGO and CFVRMA and participate in their trade shows. I take joy in working really hard to plan an event, then feeling great about the job I did when I see it in person, and receiving compliments from family and co-workers.
q: What's the greatest challenge?
a: There are a lot of ups and downs with a family-owned business. I wear many hats and time management is crucial. If any of my clients, vendors or employees have a problem, I try to resolve it as quickly as possible. I'm constantly multi-tasking.
q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?
a: Zulkeira Rodriguez, Tanya Morse and Adam Marcy '04.
q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?
a: I'm always out...trying new restaurants, going Downtown with friends, enjoying a martini at Bar Louie, hanging out with my family or on vacation!
q: Your biggest accomplishment since graduating, outside your career?
a: Participating in the Breast Cancer 3-Day which benefits Susan G. Komen for the Cure and the National Philanthropic Trust Breast Cancer Fund. I raised over $2500!
q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?

a: The "forced" internship hours get your feet wet. At the time you don't realize how well you're getting prepared. I was previously a marketing major and am glad I transferred because at Rosen College I learned the terminology of the events industry which has been a tremendous help to my career.
q: How could the hospitality program have been better?
a: I felt that some professors at Rosen focused too much on attendance. I went to USF before UCF and there were large classes with auditorium seating that gave you a "university feel." I was captivated and challenged, and therefore self-motivated to attend. My favorite classes were the ones where the professors focused on truly giving us a "wow" experience, not on the administrivia of taking roll or signing a roster, or just relating their own personal experiences at one single company.
q: A UCF memory?
a: Classes: Dr. Kim Severt's where we planned and served breakfast for Rosen College faculty and staff, Quantity Food Production with Bob Ashley, and an event management course with Premila Whitney where we planned and worked at a career fair on campus. My very favorite was Hospitality Law in the auditorium, taught by the late Tony Marshall, who always wore a bow tie. Everyone loved his class.
q: Favorite meal in Orlando?
a: My friends call me "Sullshi" because I love sushi so much, and my favorite is the Mexican Bubble Roll at Nagoya Sushi in the Dr. Phillips Marketplace. I also recommend the margaritas and guacamole at Cantina Laredo.
q: On your iPod?
a: I'm a big 80's fan, and also love rock and hip hop so you'll find quite a mix: Third Eye Blind, Incubus, Michael Jackson, Jayz, Frank Sinatra, Black Eyed Peas/Fergie, Drake and so much more.
q: Little known fact about you?
a: I'm an aspiring professional photographer.

No comments:

Post a Comment