Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Michelle Trias '05

National Sales Manager,
Shepard Exposition Services


q: What do you do?
a: I provide services to meeting and convention exhibitors; about 60% of my time is spent getting new business and 40% is spent working with clients. Because I'm located in-house at the Shingle Creek Resort in Orlando, I'm available to personally help with floor planning and signage. I travel to my clients' shows throughout the U.S. since most work with me year after year, although their meeting destinations change.
q: What's your favorite part of the job?
a: When clients have problems. I love brainstorming creative solutions and putting them into action, to show that I really care and know what I'm doing.
q: What's the greatest challenge?
a: Learning to be a salesperson. The service side comes naturally to me which helps me get repeat business, beating my 2008 sales goal in spite of the economy and being named "Salesperson of the Quarter" for all of Shepard several times."Closing the deal" for new business is something I'm learning through experience and reading books. I like trying new ways to make an impact, ranging from sending hand-written notes on "Welcome to Orlando" postcards to showing off Orlando to one client by helicopter!
q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?
a: Michelle (Leary) Devitt '03 and I go to the same tiny daycare - it's a real coincidence. Becky (Long) Martin '05 works at Shepard with me, out of Chicago. I also stay in touch with Courtney Beckwith '04, Dave Buckalew '05, Lisette Gonzalez '05, Jennifer (Sandler) Rosenthal '06 and Clinton Winn '06.
q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?
a: At Acquatica, out at comedy clubs like the new Bonkerz at Firkin & Kegler, or Downtown with my girlfriends.
q: Your biggest accomplishment since graduating, outside your career?
a: My nine month old daughter.
q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?
a: By actively participating in the student chapter of the Professional Convention Management Association, I learned how to network which is the basis for the sales aspect of my job. The classes taught me project management and how to be organized and detail-oriented. Although I wasn't a big fan of accounting at the time I took the classes, I do use what I learned in my work every day.
q: How could the hospitality program have been better?
a: When I was at Rosen, the Event Management degree wasn't available yet. Many of the required classes didn't interest me or have application to what I'd be doing after graduation. For instance, the quantity food production class is good for students who will manage kitchens some day but knowing how to dice an onion is irrelevant to my career path. My husband does thank Professor Kevin Murphy for teaching me that though!
q: A UCF memory?
a: Spirit Splash and tailgating.
q: Favorite meal in Orlando?
a: The fish at A Land Remembered at Shingle Creek, pan-seared with brown butter, lemon and capers.
q: On your iPod?
a: I have my iPod hooked up into my car stereo so play it when I'm driving my daughter around; besides lots of baby music, I listen to classical, Michael Buble, Andrea Bocelli and Maroon 5.
q: Little known fact about you?
a: After my career, I want a very simple life. My husband and I want to live in a villa on the beach in Spain.

No comments:

Post a Comment