Thursday, July 30, 2009

Liz Cain '03

Function Space Coordinator,
Rosen Plaza
(Maiden name: Liz Geer)

q: What do you do?

a: I'm in charge of yield management for convention and meeting rooms. Every space blocked at Rosen Plaza has to go through me first. I analyze and plot out the space for functions to ensure a proportionate ratio to sleeping rooms booked by the group, and make up agenda grids. I also create space analysis reports comparing our bookings to overall city-wide conventions.
q: What's your favorite part of the job?
a: I like the people I work with. (If you don't, how can you go to work?) Also I'm in charge of planning some internal events that let my creative side loose, like our annual Rosen Hotels and Resorts Golden Pillar Gala Awards Dinner, and appreciation lunches for employee birthdays and celebrations. For our 17th Anniversary Luncheon last year, I came up with a sock hop theme with 50's music and giant records as table decorations.
q: What's the greatest challenge?
a: The pressure that everyone's under in this economy, to keep this building full and people employed.
q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?
a: Nikki (Suit) Stellges '03, and my sorority sisters Chris Zaremby '03 and Ilyssa Backer '04 who both work at Rosen Hotels. Chris is my best friend and we're joined at the hip. She was one of my bridesmaids and my wedding in March and her son was my ring bearer.
q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?
a: Tailgating at UCF football games, shopping, or at Sea World or Disney.
q: Your biggest accomplishment since graduating, outside your career?
a: Getting involved with the Girl Scouts. I've been a troop leader for an elementary school in Casselberry for several years.
q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?
a: The group projects show you how the real world works. Sure, half the classroom could be sorority sisters and people you really like, but groups are chosen for you. Inevitably you're assigned to work with people you don't know and have different personalities or styles than you. In real-life you don't choose your co-workers and must be able to work effectively with all types of people.
q: How could the hospitality program have been better?
a: Throughout the program they made us feel that after graduating, we could walk into the restaurant or hotel of our choice and be a manager. I worked at a restaurant company for two years and now a hotel for four years and am still in what's technically an administrative position. They need to make it clear that the UCF degree can help open the door for you, but once inside, you'll need to pay your dues before becoming a manager.
q: A UCF memory?
a: So many...Bid Day when I found out I was accepted to my sorority, Spirit Splash, and Hospitality Association events including especially memorable Halloween parties. We traveled to New York City together for a hotel show and at Homecoming won three different trophies for Rosen, competing against the other UCF clubs. We created had a banner featuring Knightro in a tux, holding a silver tray that said Rosen School, and we turned Dave Buckalew's truck into the hospitality spirit car. There were only 60 of us in the program at that time and at graduation we all stood up and cheered loudly whenever the Rosen name was mentioned. The College of Business students kept staring in amazement.
q: Favorite meal in Orlando?
a: The Chicken Parmesan or Special of the Day at Stefano's Trattoria, on the corner of Red Bug and Tuscawilla Roads in Winter Springs. It's a family-owned restaurant where the food's closest to what we had in Italy. They have homemade Cannoli.
q: On your iPod?
a: Dierks Bentley and Brad Paisley - I'm going to their concert later this year. Also, other country music like Keith Urban and Kenny Chesney. I'm from Texas and a country girl.
q: Little known fact about you?
a: I love American History.

No comments:

Post a Comment