Thursday, July 2, 2009

Adrien Prawlocki '06

Account Executive,
Exclusive Destination Management


q: What do you do?

a: I manage sales and marketing for a boutique destination management company that services the state of Florida from Miami to Naples to Tampa to Central Florida and up to Jacksonville. Exclusive Destination Management differentiates itself by providing services to any client, no matter the size of the group. We have a relationship with all Orlando hotels, even midsize ones, instead of focusing only on large convention hotels. The co-owner, Mark Fredericksen, CMP recently launched the resort services division of the company in January 2009, so, working for a start-up, I'm very hands-on and work long hours, by choice. You'll find me meeting with clients and vendors, in theme parks, and setting up events. Clients work directly with me from start to finish instead of being passed off -- a benefit versus larger firms with a large number of employees. We provide services from transportation, staffing, tours, themed events, entertainment, table décor, off-property dinner, theme park events and tickets.
q: What's your favorite part of the job?
a: The creativity of being able to constantly brainstorm and implement new ideas for off-site tours, team building ideas and themed decor to fit in my clients' budgets. I love trying to think of outside the box ideas for clients.
q: What's the greatest challenge?
a: The economy. Every client's budget has been cut in half and many themed award and recognition events have been completely canceled for 2009. Many groups this year have decided to forgo extra services, such as linens or décor, but still want a glamorous event, which makes you just try to figure it out somehow!
q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?
a: There are many Rosen students that work in Orlando that you always come across at theme parks, restaurants, venues, etc. Casey Keller '07 is one of my closest friends, and people I have worked with or stayed in touch with are: Pri Martins ’06, Megan Palmer ’07 and Frank Todd '08.
q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?
a: At home....I'm such a homebody...or shopping.
q: Your biggest accomplishment since graduating, outside your career?
a: Being self-sufficient and happy with my life, friendships and family.
q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?
a: Taking a few hospitality courses changed my life. The content of the classes compelled me to change my major (in spite of being held in modular classrooms on Main Campus without air conditioning before Rosen opened). The small class sizes allowed for lots of one-on-one interaction with the professors, who encouraged us to get out of the "school zone" and be independent hospitality professionals. For instance, we attended a Florida Restaurant and Lodging Association convention with the assignment of collecting business cards.
q: How could the hospitality program have been better?
a: It would have been nice if the new campus were open during the whole time I was in college, and if the event management degree had been available. It would be valuable to have a full course in Destination Management; there's so much information to cover.
q: A UCF memory?
a: Sisterhood memories with my sorority, Pi Beta Phi. I was a PC ’03 my sophomore year and the friendships and memories that I made over those three years were irreplaceable and unforgettable.
q: Favorite meal in Orlando?
a: Anything at Maggiano's. The fried zucchini is great.
q: On your iPod?
a: Classic Rock and Alternative.
q: Little known fact about you?
a: I've lived in Orlando for 22 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment