Tuesday, August 25, 2009

John Walker '06

Lifestyle and Digital Marketing Coordinator,
Busch Entertainment Corporation


q: What do you do?
a: Deliver our brands into the everyday lives of consumers through emerging media including Facebook, Twitter, web development and blogs. Conversations are happening about us regardless, so I enjoy seeking them out and having day-to-day interaction with brand advocates who speak highly of us.
q: What's your favorite part of the job?
a: I get to go on Facebook and Twitter while I'm at work! In all seriousness, it makes me happy seeing how the digital community responds to what we do...whether through a blog post, tweet, or even fan mail. Some little girls hand colored a card that said "Shamu, you're our favorite whale" and mailed it to us. This is all because their Mom won a Shamu plush, t-shirt and hat through a Twitter contest. It's funny how the smallest gift of appreciation created an incredibly rewarding day.
q: What's the greatest challenge?
a: Staying current with what's hot. The digital landscape is ever-changing.
q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?
a: My girlfriend Kelly Garrett '07, who I met in Dr. Iskat's class, and also my boss Anne Fischer '04, Omaira Dostie '06, Kate Hovey Witherspoon '05 and Angela Krull '05.
q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?
a: Hanging out with my girlfriend, surfing at the beach or playing music. The best weekends are when I do absolutely nothing.
q: Your biggest accomplishment since graduating, outside your career?
a: Going back to school. I only have one semester left to finish my master's degree in Hospitality and Tourism Management at Rosen College. Also I'm proud of working at the same company for so long. I started working at Sea World in 2005.
q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?
a: It gave me the interpersonal and life skills needed to form relationships, and a service-minded personality.
q: How could the hospitality program have been better?
a: It should have fewer group projects. If I took 4-5 classes at a time, it meant 4-5 group projects going on similtaneously.
q: A UCF memory?
a: Football games. In particular, storming the field at the Citrus Bowl when we finally won after a 0-17 game losing streak.
q: Favorite meal in Orlando?
a: Whatever I am cooking for dinner of course. If I'm not cooking, I like Seasons 52 or the pulled pork at Wildside BBQ.
q: On your iPod?
a: Mostly the Dave Matthews Band and the Allman Brothers, with a little John Mayer.
q: Little known fact about you?
a: I'm adopted. Also I'm color blind. The two have nothing to do with each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment