Thursday, August 6, 2009

Ryan Stiner '01

Consultant and Director of Recruitment,
F & G Hospitality
(Ryan has two UCF degrees: B.S. in Business Administration '01,
M.S. in Hospitality and Tourism Management '05)

q: What do you do?
a: Research and prepare in-depth consulting reports for hotels, analyzing their operations from top to bottom, including ways they can increase service and reduce theft. F & G Hospitality is the only firm licensed as private investigators in all 50 states. I also help recruit interns to work as mystery shoppers and compile reports. Because I upload photos and documentation from the field, the final report and findings can be e-mailed to the client within 48-72 hours.
q: What's your favorite part of the job?
a: Sightseeing and trying foods I wouldn't normally eat, like Haggis. Currently, most of our work is done internationally. I just returned from a 20-day trip in Western Europe and have also analyzed properties in Eastern Europe, Iceland and Scandinavia. I chronicle my adventures by blog and video. I need to eat and drink at the hotel properties as part of my job, but always venture beyond the resorts, to experience the real culture.
q: What's the greatest challenge?
a: Turnover is the nature of this job. Consultants endure non-stop travel for 20 days at a time, moving from property to property. Typically you have 10 days at home and then pack up and do it again, going wherever you're told to go. It can be lonely. Also the economy has hurt business, since it's difficult for hotels to justify an intangible product. We know the information in our reports can save clients large amounts of money, but we can't pinpoint exactly how much.
q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?
a: Other Rosen grads who have worked at F & G Hospitality include Jennifer Miranda '06 and Anthony Capparelli '03. I'm also still in contact with Jonathan Ahus '06, Dave Buckalew '05, Megan Noble '05 and Will Rogers '06.
q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?
a: In bed. My 10 days off are when I make up for all the jet lag. You can also find me golfing or at Mulligan's Irish Pub in Celebration.
q: Your biggest accomplishment since graduating, outside your career?
a: Cultivating ideas for a book. While traveling, I've made a lot of friends along the way, who inspire terrific stories.
q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?
a: The graduate program at Rosen College required lots of research, writing and deadlines. I remember getting assignments like "turn in a five page paper in two days" and thinking the expectations were unrealistic. Now in the real world, we turn around detailed documents of over 100 pages in the same time. I also "minored in Muller" and absorbed all the case studies from Dr. Chris Muller's brand management courses, which I reference when evaluating real-life problems at hotel properties.
q: How could the hospitality program have been better?
a: I wish I had done everything backwards, getting an MBA after first studying hospitality as an undergraduate, so I could have taken basic classes like Quantity Food Preparation and completed the three semesters of required internships in the industry. At the time I was an undergraduate in the College of Business, the hospitality degree wasn't well publicized like it is today.
q: A UCF memory?
a: Nearly blowing up the $500,000 Anheuser-Busch Beer and Wine Lab. As part of the student organization called Beerz, we brewed flavors like Chocolate Cherry Stout and Pineapple Pale Ale. One day we came in for our meeting and bottles were literally exploding. It was like geysers everywhere! We had to rush to stop them from destroying the lab's high-tech equipment. We had bottled while too cold, and then stored the bottles too warm, so the yeast hadn't fermented yet and was still growing.
q: Favorite meal in Orlando?
a: The Bangers and Mash and a Guinness at Raglan Road. After returning from my last 20 day trip, I went straight there after landing in Orlando. It's not just about the food, but also the ambiance.
q: On your iPod?
a: Shows taped from the Travel Channel, like Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations," which is a favorite. Also, I have playlists for countries like Poland, Russia, Iceland and Norway. In each place I visit, I watch the local version of their MTV and pick out artists I like, then go to the store and buy their CDs. It's great music that I'd never know about otherwise, living in the U.S. and only shopping on iTunes.
q. Little known fact about you?
a: My anxiety about giving back to others. For instance, recently I had a nightmare. I was in Saudi Arabia and David Hasselhoff was a Nazi, trying to throw me out of a moving plane without a parachute. All I could think was: "Where's my Flip video camera? I need to get some good footage of this!" I know my friends and family have come to depend on my blogs and YouTube videos, but in the dream it was so clear that my priority of having them share my experiences has perhaps become more important than saving my own life.

No comments:

Post a Comment