Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Megan Morrison '07

Coordinator,
Minding Your Business, Inc.


q: What do you do?
a: MYB is a strategic meetings and events agency headquartered in Chicago. I'm responsible for building and maintaining the registration websites for programs, coordinating and operating on-site registration desks, building proposals, sourcing meeting and event venues, budget management and attendee rooming lists. On-site, I assist with the logistical operations of the program, including F&B and room set-up checks, A/V management and production assistance. After the event, I work on billing and evaluations. I'm fortunate to be involved in many aspects of the conception and operation of programs. Another fun part of the job is networking at industry events.
q: What's your favorite part of the job?
a: I enjoy getting to interact with each of my clients and operate programs on-site. Just like each client, each program is different and provides new opportunities, challenges and experiences.
q: What's the greatest challenge?
a: Other than the economy, which everyone in every industry is facing, the greatest challenge is providing high quality service while meeting, and hopefully exceeding, the client's goals and objectives for the program.
q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?
a: Yes, Erin Considine '07, Abby Cohen '06 and Megan Doney '05, M.S. '08.
q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?
a: Either at a street fest, a Cubs game or finding a new local restaurant. Chicagoans take advantage of the summer weather since it’s so cold six months a year, so I’ve been spending a lot of time outside recently.
q: Your biggest accomplishment since graduating, outside your career?
a: Moving to Chicago. I didn't come here for a specific job, but wanted to see what was outside of Central Florida. Having been born and raised in Orlando, it’s hard at times because the majority of my family still lives there, but Chicago is such an amazing city that I’m finding new and exciting things to experience all the time.
q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?
a: The group projects and course of study were very helpful in building the foundation for my career. I feel the professors sharing their real-life experiences, and the hands-on experience I gained during my internship, is what really built upon that foundation and has helped me succeed.
q: How could the hospitality program have been better?
a: I think with hospitality being such a young curriculum, Rosen was able to offer a lot of knowledge and insight into the industry. However, I feel that its focus was very limited to what the hospitality industry consists of in Orlando. There is so much more out here, other than theme parks and hotels.
q: A UCF memory?
a: Graduation. I had a group of 1,500+ in town and had to keep my Blackberry under my gown in case my client called. After being in our industry and looking back, it seems fitting that even on my graduation I was a phone call away for my client.
q: Favorite meal in Orlando?
a: Houston’s … I have it every time I come back. Try the artichokes; they’re amazing!!!
q: On your iPod?
a: A little bit of everything, really … Kenny Chesney, Bon Jovi, Snow Patrol, Matt Nathanson, and, of course, Sister Hazel.
q: Little known fact about you?
a: I'm a HUGE sports fan – especially of the Orlando Magic! Being a Central Floridian living in Chicago and seeing them in the finals this year was great; I made it to two playoff games. Although it was tough to see them lose, it made me proud to be from Orlando and I know we’ll get ‘em next season!

No comments:

Post a Comment