Friday, January 22, 2010

Julie Noda '05




Owner and CEO,
Something Borrowed Weddings & Events

q: What do you do?
a: I'm a full-service wedding consultant - handling all of the details from "I will" to "I do." After having managed events at the Orange County Regional History Center and the Ritz-Carlton Orlando, it's a pleasure to be on the opposite end, representing the client. I problem-solve to get everything done according to the bride's plan. My job is to put out fires before they happen, making sure everyone can relax and enjoy the big day!
q: What's your favorite part of the job?
a: I get to be there for someone's special day. It feels like I'm part of their family for a day and it's a truly rewarding experience.
q: What's the greatest challenge?
a: Adapting to different personalities.
q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?
a: Brittany Andrews '08, Holly Steinebronn '07, Kim Hawkes '07, Jason Ring '07, Adam Bailey '05, Rachael Vogel '05 and Rachel Perez '07.
q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?
a: I love to cook, so in the kitchen or at the Farmer's Market. I'm even going to the Food and Wine Festival in Miami. I also could be Downtown having brunch with friends.
q: Your biggest accomplishment since graduating, outside your career?
a: Being my own boss and setting my own rules.
q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?
a: My internship at The History Center set me on the path to meeting the right people. I got keyed into the industry and involved in organizations like NACE, ISES and ABC.
q: Your favorite class?
a: Hospitality Law with Rosemary Krebs was interesting and engaging. Catering Management with Kim Severt was hands-on, so most helpful to what I do every day. We learned the details of running an event, like table settings.
q: How could the hospitality program have been better?
a: More hands-on experience; instead of mock events in a controlled environment, the students should be working on more real-life events. The first time you tell a client they're in attrition, that's experience. Also, the guest speakers were older and very established in their careers. A mentor program with alumni who are just a few years out of school would be helpful, to help set realistic career expectations.
q: A UCF memory?
a: Roadtrips and, of course, football. Even now we're season ticket holders. It's fun to see how everything's grown with the new stadium and the hospitality program too. When I did my orientation as a Hospitality major, it was just me and one other student.
q: Favorite meal in Orlando?
a: The Super Crunch Roll at Amura.
q: On your iPod?
a: Anything but Rock. Happy, upbeat music - songs where you can understand the words, that have a good beat.
q: Little known fact about you?
a: I fell down the stairs of the stage after receiving my high school diploma. Thankfully my UCF graduation went well and so has everything since.

No comments:

Post a Comment