Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Jason Ring '07

Event Services Manager,
Hilton Orlando

q: What do you do?
a: I manage the convention floor while groups are in house. I ensure all meeting rooms and food functions are set to the clients' specifications. I’m described to the clients as an extension of all the departments in the hotel, so essentially I’m a one-stop-shop for the planner with any needs they may have while here.
q: What's your favorite part of the job?
a: I love being able to work closely with all the departments in the hotel. I’ve developed some great relationships with so many people and continually learn something new every day. I work with everyone from housekeeping to AV to the front office to the General Manager every day.
q: What's the greatest challenge?
a: I don’t actually plan any part of the meetings. Rather, I’m on the floor ensuring everything is executed flawlessly. With so many areas and meeting planners involved, it can become rather challenging trying to get everything done right while also learning about the program as you go. There’s only so much pre-work I can do on the program, so I’m constantly having to think on my feet and stay one step ahead of the group to make sure they get everything they need.
q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?
a: Yes! Julie Noda '05, Marissa Moore '07, John Brooks '07, Holly Steinebronn '07, Shannon Fleshman '07 and Valerie Teman '06.
q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?
a: In Downtown Orlando. Whether at a Wine Bar, a club, Farmers' Market or Sunday brunch, I LOVE Downtown Orlando!
q: Your biggest accomplishment since graduating, outside your career?
a: Skydiving and Bungee Jumping in New Zealand.
q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?
a: Working with so many different personalities and having to figure out how to make those relationships work. I hated that we had so many team projects; however, looking back, it was the most valuable experience because it taught me to work with all types of people.
q: How could the hospitality program have been better?
a: I would have liked to see more hands-on experience and less textbook-style learning. I learned very quickly that "experiences" trump everything else in this industry, so the more Rosen can offer...the better.
q: A UCF memory?
a: I was nominated for Homecoming King in 2006 and that whole week was so amazing. The best part was driving onto the field for the last Homecoming at the Citrus Bowl. I was just so proud to be a Knight at that moment.
q: Favorite meal in Orlando?
a: BBQ Ribs at Houston's in Winter Park.
q: On your iPod?
a: A little of everything! Currently? LMFAO, Maroon 5, Rent, and Carrie Underwood…told you I was eclectic!
q: Little known fact about you?
a: I sang with a performance troupe at the White House for President Clinton’s Christmas party.

No comments:

Post a Comment