Thursday, February 26, 2009

Alinda Ramos '96

Vice President and Director of Operations,
Premiere Show Group

q: What do you do?

a: I manage the logistics for one of the biggest trade show companies in the U.S. I look at "the big picture" and work with the 11 employees to make everything happen on schedule. Typically I work 40-45 hours a week but it can increase to 60-200 (is that possible?) during one of the three shows we produce.
q: What's your favorite part of the job?

a: The variety. My personality requires change and I love that every day is different. I enjoy working with people and trouble-shooting.

q: What's the greatest challenge?

a: Deadlines. In our small organization there's lots to get done.

q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?
a: Kate Bell '96 and John Giordano '94, plus Phylicia Korchevsky '07 who works at Premiere Shows.

q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?
a: Running, since I'm training for my first half marathon; climbing mountains, canyoning, zip-lining; also at the Enzian Theater and "First Thursday" events at the Orlando Museum of Art.

q: Your biggest accomplishment since graduating, outside your career?
a: For my 12-year anniversary with my company, I took a six-week sabbatical and rented a cabin in Montana by myself. I hiked, read books, journaled and had no contact with the outside world except calling my Mom once a week.

q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?
a: At the time I went to UCF, the hospitality program required 800 hours of internship time divided among the "front" and "back" of the house. This helped me determine what I did and didn't want for my career. It made me realize that the hotel and restaurant areas of hospitality are subject to lots of regulations and laws, which weren't for me.

q: How could the hospitality program have been better?
a: More opportunities for ambassadorship and mentorship. It's a time of your life when someone exposing you to what goes in their job, like a behind-the-scenes tour of the PGA show, could change the path of your life.

q: A UCF memory?

a: Being a part of the Marching Knights and playing flute in the Wind Ensemble. Football games of course!

q: Favorite meal in Orlando?
a: A hamburger at 310 Park South in Winter Park.

q: On your iPod?

a: John Legend, Earth Wind & Fire and Michael Jackson.

q: Little known fact about you?
a: I'm taking an acting class at the Mad Cow Theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment