Monday, February 23, 2009

Chris Iaciofoli '03

Director of Operations Excellence,
Red Lobster

q: What do you do?

a: I manage each and every "deployment" to all 689 Red Lobster restaurants. Anything sent from Darden's headquarters to the individual restaurants -- whether it's an e-mail communication, change in policy, menu item, advertising campaign, etc. goes through my department to make sure our directives maintain consistency, please all parties involved, and are simple and easy for restaurants to follow.
q: What's your favorite part of the job?
a: Knowing everything I do has such a huge impact on Red Lobster guests and crew all over the U.S. Previously, as general manager of the Red Lobster in Lake Buena Vista, I could only make the experience better for guests and crew at that one location.
q: What's the greatest challenge?
a: Guest counts in these tough economic times, even though Darden is faring better than the rest of the industry. Also, in my position I'm the mediator on a cross-functional team (advertising, accounting, operations, etc.) and have to devise win-win solutions for people with vastly different view points.
q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?
a: Of course my wife Joanna Iaciofoli '03, who also graduated from Rosen and works as a banquet manager at the Hyatt Grand Cypress. I also stay in touch with Ken Finegan '03.
q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?
a: My wife and I enjoy spending time with our daughter and going to Dolphin games. Also we like evenings out at the Melting Pot.
q: Your biggest accomplishment since graduating, outside your career?
a: Being married to my wife for six years and a Dad to my six month-old daughter Kendall (perhaps the first "Rosen baby" born to two alumni of the new campus).
q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?
a: Overall, Rosen College gave me a foundation of knowledge in the hospitality industry. Ironically it's the classes you dread, like Financial Accounting, that are the most helpful in real life on the job.
q: How could the hospitality program have been better?
a: Since I'm a guest speaker and talk with the faculty on a regular basis, I know the curriculum's different from when I went to Rosen. The Restaurant Management degree track and specialized courses they offer now -- and are planning for the future -- are the ideal training for going into the field.
q: A UCF memory?
a: Walking around Main Campus, which is where hospitality classes were held when I attended. Also, marrying my high school sweetheart in my junior year.
q: Favorite meal in Orlando?
a: Lobster and scallops from the wood-fired grill at Red Lobster, with fries or rice and a caesar salad. The wood-fire grills are now in all of our restaurants.
q: On your iPod?
a: Rock.
q: Little known fact about you?
a: When you meet me, I'm very direct so people think I'm all about business. Inside I have a big heart and will do anything I can to help someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment