Friday, February 20, 2009

Katie Herndon '06

Corporate Training and Recruiting Manager, The Kessler Collection

q: What do you do?

a: I design, develop and implement all training courses at all Kessler properties across the U.S. The courses include orientation, guest services, leadership and more. Additionally I do all recruiting for executive positions. (I caught her in between a trip to Asheville, staffing the Grand Bohemian Asheville opening in April '09 (www.bohemianhotelasheville.com/) and Savannah, staffing the Bohemian Hotel opening in June '09 (http://www.bohemianhotelsavannah.com/).

q: What's your favorite part of the job?
a: "Selling" The Kessler Collection to prospective Grand Performers (what they call employees) because I love to talk about the company. Also, I thought being in the corporate office here I'd miss the interaction with guests, and taking care of guests like I did at the J.W. Marriott. In fact, I like the taking care of the Grand Performers, and teaching them new skills, even better. After helping a hotel guest or solving their problem, you might not ever seem them again but my relationship with the Grand Performers is ongoing.
q: What's the greatest challenge?
a: Prioritizing everything I have to do and realizing that means saying "no" to some things.

q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?
a: Everywhere I go I see them, especially at professional association meetings. Here in the office every day I see Josh Woods '04.

q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?
a: At Epcot. I'm a proud annual pass holder!

q: Your biggest accomplishment since graduating, outside your career?
a: Staying in close touch with friends from grade school, high school and college.

q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?
a: The required Hospitality Human Resource Management course (HFT 2220) changed my life. It inspired me to choose my career, and realize that I wanted to take care of people.

q: How could the hospitality program have been better?
a: It gives students an unrealistic view about their career opportunities. Graduates expect to come out of college and automatically be managers, but this is an industry where you start at the bottom and work your way to the top. If I could mentor a Rosen student, I'd tell them there's nothing wrong with being a server for a few years until you get the position you want. I couldn't be the effective manager I am today without "doing my time" in less glamorous positions first.

q: A UCF memory?
a: My first time seeing the Rosen College campus. We called it "West Beverly" because we felt like we were on 90210. I remember getting yelled at for sitting on the grass which was funny. Overall it was such an honor to have this gorgeous place designed just for us, the hospitality students - previously we were in an old classroom building at the Main Campus.

q: Favorite meal in Orlando?
a: Chips and queso at Tijuana Flats.

q: On your iPod?
a: A mix of everything including Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, the Beatles, Creedence Clearwater Revival and Rhianna.
q: Little known fact about you?
a: I have a total of five nieces and nephews, including a niece named after me who they call Katie Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment