Thursday, February 5, 2009

Nate Nakamura '06

Front Desk,
Hilton Garden Inn Lake Mary

q: What do you do?

a: Help guests at the front desk of the Hilton Garden Inn in Lake Mary. Funny, I worked at theme parks and restaurants for all four years of college, and said I'd never work in a hotel.

q: What's your favorite part of the job?

a: I like how we are really close to the guests that we call them by their first name. We have great relationships with some of the regulars. It's also a fun staff, and small enough that we praise each other's efforts.

q: What's the greatest challenge?

a: Keeping myself entertained during non-peak times.

q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?

a: Most often: JP Philip '07, Andy Yaffee '08, Jessica Goldstein '06, Megan Oxman '06, Shannon Cole '06, Alison Tomaska '97, Blair Keller '08 and Lydia Hueneke '08.

q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?

a: At the theme parks or a Magic game. I have a Sea World annual pass and am a full season ticket holder of Orlando Magic tickets for the second year.

q: Your biggest accomplishment since graduating, outside your career?

a: Being elected to the board of the Rosen College Chapter of the UCF Alumni Association. Also, eating a record 375 clams and mussels at the Yacht & Beach Club.

q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?

a: It got me out of my shell. I networked with anyone and everyone.

q: How could the hospitality program have been better?

a: More parking! Also, once the gates were added, it became a different school - more closed-in and isolated like a private school. It had a better feel as an open campus.

q: A UCF memory?

a: Serving at the Grande Hospitality Gala. My whole first semester was an incredible experience, meeting new people and having inspiring classes with Paul Rompf, Ron Logan and Kim Severt.

q: Favorite meal in Orlando?

a: Oysters at Lee and Rick's on Old Winter Garden Road. They can't shuck them fast enough to keep up with me.

q: On your iPod?

a: I don't have one, but if I did, it would have songs by Billy Joel, Duran Duran, The Who, Def Leppard and The Police.

q: Little known fact about you?

a: I hate rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment