Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Dean Treuren '98

Guest Services Administrator,
Orange County Convention Center

q: What do you do?

a: I work with the in-house staff, service providers and Orlando/Orange County Convention and Visitors Bureau to ensure we're providing the best possible guest service experience. The Orange County Convention Center is the second largest in the country and we strive to make customer service our competitive advantage.

q: What's your favorite part of the job?
a: Working with people: employees, exhibitors and attendees. My goal is to give each and every show manager such a positive experience that he or she will, without a doubt, return to the Orange County Convention Center.
q: What's the greatest challenge?
a: Because my position's new, I'm devising creative ways to "wow" the client. Then once that happens, I need to be creative all over again - outdoing myself with another unexpected special something, making the show manager's return experience even better than before.
q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?
a: I've seen and worked with a large number of them including Karen Babcock '85 , Stephanie Fleisher '05, Nila Kushner '99, and Annette Udziela '98.
q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?
a: Playing with trains with my three year-old son or sitting in a rocking chair, holding my eight week-old daughter.
q: Your biggest accomplishment since graduating, outside your career?
a: Marrying my beautiful wife, Aidbimari Treuren '96, M.S. '00. Although she's not in hospitality, I never would have met her if I didn't go to UCF.
q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?
a: The extra-curricular activities made me well-rounded and put what we learned in class into action. For my 800 hours of internship, I worked as the senior building manager for the Student Union which we opened in 1998. I led a team of 64 students to set up the rooms, including A/V equipment and hold special events. My public speaking for the Consultants for Effective Leadership group and Campus Activities Board make me more effective in my job today.
q: How could the hospitality program have been better?
a: I wish the Rosen College campus had been open. Being a small degree program within the College of Business wasn't the same. I actually started as an engineering major but heard Dr. Robert Ford, the chair of the hospitality management degree speak, which inspired me to change over to hospitality. With fewer than 100 students graduating each year, it didn't have the exposure or prestige it does today.
q: A UCF memory?
a: Standing center stage in the Arena, introducing James Earl Jones. This was part of my job as Speakers Director for the Campus Activities Board.
q: Favorite meal in Orlando?
a: The Melting Pot - our favorite destination for special occasions.
q: On your iPod?
a: If it sounds good and has a good beat, it's on my iPod. This includes a diverse mix of rap, country, jazz, R & B and more.
q: Little known fact about you?
a: I'm originally from Holland and speak both Dutch and Spanish fluently.

No comments:

Post a Comment