Friday, March 20, 2009

Lydia Hueneke '08

Area Marketing Coordinator,
Chick-fil-A
(Pictured with Chick-fil-A founder and CEO Truett Cathy)

q: What do you do?
a: I'm the "face of Chick-fil-A" for 30 stores in Metropolitan Orlando, managing events, PR, community relations and sponsorships. It's my goal to make sure everyone gets our "Second Mile Service" whether buying one order of french fries or a $1000 catering order.
q: What's your favorite part of the job?
a: I'm always learning something new and every day's different as I'm out and about, meeting thousands of new people. One day for a "Random Act of Kindness" promotion, we had the Chick-fil-A cows take over toll booths, paying people's tolls and giving away food.
q: What's the greatest challenge?
a: Working with operations and getting them to understand marketing -- that someone's first catering order is an opportunity for an outstanding performance, not just another tray of food. Also, while I'm part of a huge company, I don't have the daily personal support of other marketing people.
q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?
a: Julianne Pagliaro '07 and Sherilyn Strayer '08.
q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?
a: At Metro Life Church, or doing volunteer work for non-profits.
q: Your biggest accomplishment since graduating, outside your career?
a: Planning events for my church. I'm happy to have used what I learned at Rosen to bring other people to God. Hospitality for evangelism!
q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?
a: It taught me: be on time or get locked out! If we didn't show up for the guest lecture class on time, we'd literally be locked out of the room. We had to dress up for many events and speakers; I learned how to look and act professional and accountable.
q: How could the hospitality program have been better?
a: Nearly every course includes multiple group projects, and a consistent procedure system needs to be established. It didn't work to have students self-select teams and group leaders on the first day of class when you don't know anyone or their skill-sets. Some groups were too big and it was impossible to coordinate times when everyone was available to meet. The projects themselves often had unlimited budgets which didn't prepare us for the real world.

q: A UCF memory?
a: Starting the HSMAI chapter at Rosen College. I also really enjoyed the weekly student events on the Rosen campus, organized by Tiffany Greenis.
q: Favorite meal in Orlando?
a: The Chicken Alfredo Pizza at Olive Garden.
q: On your iPod?
a: A variety of Christian, alternative and country music.
q: Little known fact about you?
a: I really do eat at Chick-fil-A five days a week and don't get sick of it because of the variety. My favorite is the Chick-Fil-A original sandwich and waffle fries, with a cookies and cream milkshake. I even crave it on Sundays when we're closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment