Monday, March 9, 2009

Kacie Shuba '06

Convention Housing Coordinator
Rosen Centre Hotel


q: What do you do?

a: I’m the point of contact for clients for reserving rooms and suites for conventions and meetings. I manage the group’s room inventory and work closely with the client to confirm terms including method of booking, billing, cut-off dates and upgrades. I'm responsible for receiving and updating reservation rooming lists, blocking all room upgrades and verifying VIP reservations.
q: What's your favorite part of the job?
a: I enjoy my co-workers. Also, it's always great to meet a client for the first time, putting a face to the person you’ve been working with for many months via phone and e-mail.
q: What's the greatest challenge?
a: When the computers run maintenance updates during the day and I need to make or change a rooming list by a certain time. I can’t do my job without my computer but I understand these updates need to be done in order for them to work.

q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?
a: I work directly at the Rosen Centre with Courtney Beckwith '04, Becky Crowder '04 and Karli Bennett '08. I’m still great friends with Erin Mahaffey '06 and Taryn Dorsey '07. I still keep in contact with Nate Nakamura '06 and Megan Oxman '06. I’ve known Megan since middle school and Nate since high school.

q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?
a: You could find me at the movies or a restaurant with my friends, family, and boyfriend. I love going to concerts and theme parks as well.

q: Your biggest accomplishment since graduating, outside your career?
a: One of my main goals in life is to travel as much as possible. I went to Chicago and Phoenix in 2008.

q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?
a: Because of all the required group projects, I learned how to work well in a team. Rosen College also showed me many job opportunities the hospitality field has to offer.

q: How could the hospitality program have been better?
a: The college didn’t offer some of the classes that they offer today. I would have taken cruise ship management, which sounds like an interesting class.

q: A UCF memory?
a: The UCF football games at the Citrus Bowl; also, the Rosen College Hospitality Association's 2004 trip to the Hotel, Motel, and Restaurant Show in New York City.

q: Favorite meal in Orlando?
a: The Factory Burrito Grande at Cheesecake Factory.

q: On your iPod?
a: I have a wide variety of music on my iPod. Some of my favorite music artists are Dashboard Confessional, Jimmy Eat World, Breaking Benjamin, 311, and Jason Mraz.

q: Little known fact about you?
a: I'm the first person in my entire family to graduate from college with a bachelor’s degree.

No comments:

Post a Comment