Friday, May 8, 2009

Megan Oxman '06

Catering and Convention Services,
The Peabody Orlando


q: What do you do?
a: I create customized banquet event orders and event plans for clients booking 10 or fewer rooms. I also work on special projects like this weekend's gala for Give Kids the World.
q: What's your favorite part of the job?
a: Walking in the room when the event's about to take place. It's so rewarding when the group's finally in-house, and to see that all of our hard work has paid off with an impressive final product.
q: What's the greatest challenge?
a: Multi-tasking during big city-wide conventions. I need to juggle multiple projects.
q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?
a: Tawanna Frazier '08 works at the desk next to me, and I'm in touch with lots of others including Shannon Cole '06, Jessica Goldstein '06, Erin Magrum '06, Suzy Meyer '06, Nate Nakamura '06, JP Philip '07, Jennifer Rosenthal '07, Kacie Shuba '06, Alison Tomaska '97 and Steve Ziarnik '06.
q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?
a: At the Mall of Millennia or the theme parks. I've been going to a different park every single week lately, including Sea World, Magic Kingdom and Universal.
q: Your biggest accomplishment since graduating, outside your career?
a: Learning how to snowboard.
q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?
a: In the event management class, I took exactly the right classes to be successful in my job. They covered conventions, meetings and catering. Also I ended up getting my position through Rosen College.
q: How could the hospitality program have been better?
a: My friends and I at Rosen were extremely passionate about the hospitality industry. It would be a better environment if all students recruited were there because, like us, they want to soak up as much knowledge as possible about the industry - some just wanted to get a degree.
q: A UCF memory?
a: Going to Hawaii for the Professional Convention Management Association's 49th annual conference was the best experience of my life. Also I had fun making a Homecoming mini-float for the Rosen College fountain, as part of a contest for the Hospitality Association. Ours was a pineapple.
q: Favorite meal in Orlando?
a: Chicken piccata at the Cheesecake Factory.
q: On your iPod
a: I don't have one, but if I did, it would have songs by Justin Timberlake, No Doubt and Christina Aguilera.
q: Little known fact about you?
a: I was born and raised in Orlando. I've never lived outside Orange and Seminole counties.

No comments:

Post a Comment