Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Brenda Urias '02

Marketing Manager,
AAA Travel Programs

q: What do you do?
a: I've worked at AAA promoting travel and tourism for 11 years. In my current position, which I've held for about a year, I manage nationwide advertising campaigns for AAA Travel, which not many people realize is one of the largest leisure travel agencies in the U.S. One of my projects is creating eight "virtual travel shows" per year. Consumers can have the experience of attending a travel show -- learning about all the latest travel destinations and packages -- completely online, without leaving their homes.
q: What's your favorite part of the job?
a: Working with national travel partners, including hotels, cruise lines, tour companies and Disney. I'm passionate about travel and marketing, and love getting the messages out to consumers.
q: What's the greatest challenge?
a: There's not enough time to do everything. I have a huge list of ideas but can only accomplish some of them.
q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?
a: Brittney Shaw '04 and Alison Watkins '02 also work here at AAA. I see several others including Chris Fletcher '97 and Noelani Torres '02.
q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?
a: At the theme parks. I get a different annual pass each year. I also like to go out Downtown with my girlfriends and, of course, travel!
q: Your biggest accomplishment since graduating, outside your career?
a: Raising my two children who are ages three and 13. Also, a marketing paper I wrote about Dubai for my master's program at Webster University was selected as one of the Top 4 in Florida and is now in the Library of Congress.
q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?

a: It taught me about all segments of the travel industry. The "Travel Agency Management" course plus classes covering theme parks and conferences were extremely helpful to what I do every day.
q: How could the hospitality program have been better?
a: If the new campus opened before I graduated. For instance, imagine us crammed into a tiny little kitchen at the Main Campus for the "Beverage Management" course. At Rosen College, they have a full size bar.
q: A UCF memory?
a: Dr. Milman's courses in theme park management were fun and let us be so creative. I enjoyed the assignment of creating our own theme park.
q: Favorite meal in Orlando?
a: The Garden of Eden Grill And Hookah in Kissimmee. It's Arabic and Mediterranean food. Everything's really good.

q: On your iPod?
a: Mostly Latin music including salsa and merengue, but also hip hop, R & B and lots of Josh Groban.
q: Little known fact about you?
a: People don't know that I do so much charity work. Even though I live in Clermont and drive all the way to Heathrow each day, I still go to Oviedo on the weekends to volunteer for Boys Town of Central Florida. I also volunteer for the BETA Center. For my community service, AAA recently recognized me with the James B. Creal Citizenship Award.

No comments:

Post a Comment