Friday, June 5, 2009

Joshua Bergen '97

Director of Accounting,
Wyndham Vacation Ownership

(Josh has three UCF degrees: B.S. in Hospitality Management '97,
B.S. in Accounting '00 and M.S. in Hospitality and Tourism Management '05)

q: What do you do?
a: Manage all accounting for the reservations and owner services division of the largest timeshare company in the U.S. This includes forecasting, budgeting, preparing and reviewing financial statements. Ironically, I had no interest in accounting when I got my hospitality degree in the College of Business; I remember how shocked professor Dr. Stephen LeBruto was to find out that I went back for an accounting degree, and followed that career path within hospitality.
q: What's your favorite part of the job?
a: Working in close proximity to the vacation planning counselors, and being hands-on with the leaders in operations.
q: What's the greatest challenge?
a: Balancing the budget while still providing extraordinary service to Wyndham customers.
q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?
a: There are too many to list, especially since I've taught Financial Accounting as an adjunct professor at Rosen College. My wife, Hope Bergen, graduated from UCF with an accounting degree in 2001.
q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?
a: Hanging out with my kids -- a two year old girl and three year old boy.
q: Your biggest accomplishment since graduating, outside your career?
a: Becoming a grown up.
q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?
a: Through the studying process, I learned valuable skills like perseverance, how to focus on the most important deadline, doing the job right the first time and to read directions thoroughly before starting a project.
q: How could the hospitality program have been better?
a: I should have participated in the networking organizations. At the time it seemed like enough to be working two jobs, attending classes and meetings for group projects, studying and commuting to the coast, but looking back, I could have made time for it. Rosen College gave me the opportunity to meet leaders in the field; in hindsight I can't believe I had so many important people's business cards, but never followed up with them.
q: A UCF memory?
a: Meeting my future wife at the Palm Bay Campus and then again at the Main Campus. After her graduation we started dating and the rest is history.
q: Favorite meal in Orlando?
a: Everyone knows how much I like Texas de Brazil Churrascaria on International Drive. My co-workers recently bought me a gift certificate.
q: On your iPod?
a: No iPod! I listen to SIRIUS Satellite Radio. I have a lifetime membership, having subscribed since it first came out.
q: Little known fact about you?
a: If networking were an Olympic sport, I'm working on getting the gold medal for Orlando. I've personally organized several events per month with 200+ people through the networking site Linkedin. I hope to see more UCF students and graduates attend!

No comments:

Post a Comment