Monday, June 15, 2009

Annette Udziela '98

Sales and Marketing Account Executive,
Convention Planning Services

q: What do you do?
a: I work for a family-owned destination management company (DMC). CPS has been in the business for over 33 years and has about 40 full-time employees and 250+ part-time event coordinators. We have been the in-house DMC at the Gaylord Palms since 2001 and will be in-house at the Waldorf Astoria Orlando and the Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek (opening October 1, 2009). We operate in all hotels and even the Orange County Convention Center. My job is to market and sell our services to association, corporate and incentive clients who have selected a Florida destination for their program. Following is just a sampling of the services we can provide: transportation (hotel shuttles, VIP moves, airport meet & greet), theme parties, entertainment, off-site events, tour programs and discounted attraction ticket programs.
q: What's your favorite part of the job?
a: Building relationships with my clients and vendors.
q: What's the greatest challenge?
a: Keeping the perfect balance of managing new leads, following up with leads-in-progress to close the deal, and managing current projects. Also, groups are making their decisions very last-minute; whereas in the past they might finalize the details of their trip a year in advance, some will wait until even the last two weeks.
q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?
a: Summer Hansen Davey '97, Nila Kushner '99 MS '05, Ellen Ouellette '98, Dean Treuren '98 and Megan Williams '07.
q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?
a: It depends on the day. Currently I live in Winter Park, but spent many years downtown in Thornton Park. The local Farmer’s Markets have been quite fun. I like to make appearances at local special events. I also volunteer at Coalition for the Homeless.
q: Your biggest accomplishment since graduating, outside your career?
a: Buying a condo in Winter Park.
q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?
a: I quote Dr. Bill Quain: “it's 20% what you know, but 80% who you know”. I landed my first job at the Orlando CVB back in May 1998 shortly after volunteering for a SITE (Society of Incentive Travel Executives) Convention and made a lasting connection with the CVB representative that was working the group. I was in shock that only two students took that opportunity to volunteer out of a class size of 150 or more. I attribute my success in my career to networking. Some colleagues have referred to me as "the Mayor of Orlando" since I seem to know someone, where ever we go. (Interviewer note: Annette's the first UCF hospitality alum I've interviewed that I had personally met before, so maybe she does know everyone.)
q: How could the hospitality program have been better?
a: Can't think of anything; it was a great experience.
q: A UCF memory?
a: I loved the group projects, perhaps because I'm a people person. When it came time to choose group members for our classes (then in the College of Business), everyone felt they needed a Finance major and a Marketing manager for their teams, but Hospitality Management? I let everyone know I'd provide the food and beverages! One group project that stands out was for Ben and Jerry's, for my Cornerstone class. Another time we conducted a feasibility study for a new hotel concept. Our group ended up making a video recapping the study and based it on Beatles music because the professor was a huge Beatles fan.
q: Favorite meal in Orlando?
a: Hmm...so many choices. Depends on the mood, but I always like having brunch with friends.
q: On your iPod?
a: Don’t frequently change, but it's my goal to clear out the memory and put some new music on it.
q: Little known fact about you?
a: I try to always remain positive and portray a positive attitude. Service with a smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment