Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Michelle Devitt '03

Account Executive,
Audio Visual Solutions,
Freeman

q: What do you do?
a: Manage audio visual solutions for the largest trade show services company in the U.S. This includes talking to show managers to find out about their A/V and lighting needs, building a proposal, selling it and then making it happen. I travel with accounts to ensure event consistency.
q: What's your favorite part of the job?
a: When things come together, like the creative scenery for a general session that the client really loves. I feel great when I know I have fulfilled my client’s wish list.
q: What's the greatest challenge?
a: Audio visual needs are usually decided late in the game, when show managers don't have much money left in their budgets. It's a challenge to create something wonderful and unique without compromising service or quality.
q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?
a: Working in this industry, I encounter a whole lot of Rosen grads. Some include Nila Kusher '99 M.S. '05, Tiffany Mora '06, Dean Treuren '98, and Michelle Trias '05.
q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?
a: I love to be outside worshipping the sun and playing with my daughter Taylor, who's one year old.
q: Your biggest accomplishment since graduating, outside your career?
a: My family; I got married, bought a house, had my daughter and have a Doberman Pinscher who's almost four years old.
q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?
a: Since the program was small then, we had several classes with each professor and built great relationships with them. Dr. Deborah Breiter introduced me to people in the industry and helped me get my job. My internships at the Orange County Convention Center and installing A/V for events at the UCF Student Union were valuable experience.
q: How could the hospitality program have been better?
a: The professors really talk you up and make you think you'll get a glamorous job right out of school. In real life, the industry isn't used to four year degrees, and you still need to pay your dues through years of experience.
q: A UCF memory?
a: The friends I made in the Honors Dorm. Even though most have moved out of state, they will be my family forever.
q: Favorite meal in Orlando?
a: The Volcano Roll and Super Crunch Roll at Amura.
q: On your iPod?
a: Upbeat workout music.
q: Little known fact about you?
a: My dog is literally bigger than me! He loves to lie on my lap and watch T.V.

1 comment:

  1. Go Michelle! UCF family will always be here :)

    ReplyDelete