Monday, June 29, 2009

Leonard Pollard '01

Senior Manager of Strategic Planning,
Marriott Vacation Club International

(Leonard has three UCF degrees:
B.S. and M.S. in Industrial Engineering '01 and '03,
and M.S. in Hospitality and Tourism Management '07)

q: What do you do?

a: Manage research, analyzing results and making recommendations based on consumer feedback for the most efficient operations. Although not widely adopted yet, industrial engineering can help optimize hospitality functions including hours of operation, target marketing and drivers of consumer satisfaction. In a previous job at Disney, I worked in labor planning, using analysis to discover the optimal number of characters to have in the parks at any given time as well as entertainers and costumes. I've also analyzed pricing, inventory and project management for Starwood Vacation Ownership and Marriott Vacation Club International.
q: What's your favorite part of the job?
a: I love my view of the company. It's like I'm 30,000 feet above ground, looking down at its operations in totality. I can swoop down and make the best recommendations based on consumer responses to the operation. I enjoy working with the people in Operations and Sales to maximize both revenue and consumer satisfaction.
q: What's the greatest challenge?
a: Getting acceptance from people, especially those who have worked in the timeshare industry a long time, to view quality as a science. Phil Crosby and Edward Deming championed quality management practices within Engineering circles, but this hasn't been highly embraced yet within the service industry. The best example of success is Disney's Fast Pass. It was the result of researching problems and, through analysis, finding a way to make park operations run more smoothly and provide a better guest experience. Truly, the numbers don't tell us everything either; hospitality is still both an art and a science.
q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?
a: Mostly Josh Bergen '97 and Jeff Overgaard '04. Since I'm an adjunct professor at Rosen College, I'm also still in touch with faculty members.
q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?
a: Working on my doctoral dissertation, which focuses on service quality in timeshare operations. Although my Ph.D. will be in Industrial Engineering, Dr. Randall Upchurch from Rosen College is one of the professors on my dissertation committee because of his vast knowledge of the timeshare industry. Also, I participate in charity events including the Marriott Vacation Club Caring Classic, a golf tournament that we hold annually for Children’s Miracle Network here in Orlando. I have volunteered for the last three years and this picture is of me and Beth Ridenour, one of our Directors of Public Relations who help puts together this fantastic event.
q: Your biggest accomplishment since graduating, outside your career?
a: My son, who is four years old. He makes work seem easy!
q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?
a: Through social activities and my fraternity, I learned to network, have a balanced life with both work and play, and deal with different cultures. Had I only gone to the College of Engineering and not Rosen College, I wouldn't have had a focus on meeting new people, which has been helpful to my career and life.
q: How could the hospitality program have been better?
a: Rosen College could market itself better within UCF, improving its image and expanding its exposure. Why can't Hospitality Management partner more with departments like Marketing, Entrepreneurship and Engineering? This could be done through symposium classes and collaboration in research.
q: A UCF memory?
a: Living on Main Campus and going to Homecoming every year.
q: Favorite meal in Orlando?
a: Lunch at Thai Thani on International Drive. Since it's near my office, I go there all the time.
q: On your iPod?
a: I don't listen to much music -- usually Talk Radio.
q: Little known fact about you?
a: When I was in grad school, I was the "House Dad" for the ATĪ© fraternity. I lived in the house and helped managed the finances, kitchen and residents.

No comments:

Post a Comment