Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Chalese Wright '96

Certification Manager,
American Hotel & Lodging Educational Institute

q: What do you do?
a: The Educational Institute offers more professional certifications to the hospitality industry than any other association, handling over 40 different professional certifications from line-level positions up to General Manager. I manage the employees in the certification department. I'm also the representative from the department who collaborates with the warehouse, accounting, marketing, and IT departments to ensure a smooth experience for the customer.

q: What's your favorite part of the job?
a: Hearing from customers who have recently earned their certifications, and are so excited that they want to help all their department co-workers get certified.
q: What's the greatest challenge?
a: Our company has international licensees all over the world, including Bahrain, China, Egypt, India, Malaysia, and Singapore. With so many different cultures and languages, it’s a challenge to communicate clearly and concisely. Also, sometimes there's a misconception about professional certifications. We provide textbooks and training materials, but the certifications themselves are not educational courses to learn a profession. They are a way for an individual to validate his or her knowledge and current job duties with a certification that matches those duties.
q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?
a: Having graduated from UCF over 12 years ago and the program having been much smaller back then, I have unfortunately lost contact with those that I knew when I was in the Hospitality Management program.
q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?
a: Working out or shopping…but not necessarily in that order.
q: Your biggest accomplishment since graduating, outside your career?
a: Purchasing my condo two years ago; it happened more quickly than I expected, but it was exactly what I was looking for!
q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?
a: Back in the mid-90’s, UCF had just started updating its business program to include classes that focus on team projects. It helped me to learn how to work as a team, incorporating each team member's strengths to corresponding parts of the project. I still use those skills to this day, evaluating the people I work with to match their strengths with specific job duties.
q: How could the hospitality program have been better?
a: When I was at UCF, the Hospitality Management program was under the School of Business, so I took mostly business classes and then some general hospitality classes. I was very happy with the program at the time since it was growing and just starting to develop into what it is today.
q: A UCF memory?
a: From being in a sorority to being a part of the Hospitality Association, my time at UCF was very memorable…thinking back on those memories, it makes me want to be a “kid” again.
q: Favorite meal in Orlando?
a: The Cedar Plank Salmon at Seasons 52. I also enjoy a burger and fries at Five Guys every now and then.
q: On your iPod?
a: Michael Jackson, Cold Play, MercyMe, and a little country.
q: Little known fact about you?
a: When I was born, the doctors realized I had a form of Spina Bifida but weren’t sure to what extent or if I would be able to walk. I am very thankful and happy to say that I have never had any difficulties walking and have never needed any surgeries or assistance.

1 comment:

  1. It's great to see UCF grads doing so well and accomplishing so much in the hospitality field. Congratulations to you Chalese and much continued success!

    ReplyDelete