Monday, October 5, 2009

Lauren Staiano '09

Sales Manager,
Buca di Beppo

q: What do you do?
a: It is my job to create celebratory dining experiences for groups at Buca di Beppo in Maitland, Florida. This includes planning parties for weddings, birthdays and anniversaries. I also promote the restaurant at bridal shows, schools and to local groups. Maitland is a tight-knit social community that thrives on positive word of mouth and networking.
q: What's your favorite part of the job?
a: When potential clients come to the restaurant for tastings and a tour. The guests are what I am all about and interacting with them is what makes the job worthwhile. I apply knowledge from my UCF Event Management degree on a daily basis to help cater to their wishes. The largest group I have hosted to date was about 200 girls from a UCF sorority. Being that one of them was a current Rosen College student, she knew how to plan an event which made it a very easy to accommodate such a large group.
q: What's the greatest challenge?
a: Making every client feel like he or she is your only client. Even smaller family groups of six or eight people can find important meaning in every single detail of their celebration, so I need to make sure I give them the time and attention they want while still focusing on the larger groups.
q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?
a: I talk to a few but most frequently I stay in touch with Mickey Grier '09 and Andrea Chinea '09.
q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?
a: Local restaurants and hotels; I love take advantage of what our wonderful city has to offer. I especially love going to wine tastings at the local wine bars.
q: Your biggest accomplishment since graduating, outside your career?
a: Working out again. I severely injured my back exactly a year ago and was unable to do any physical activity until recently.
q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?
a: It gave me the opportunity to have hands-on experience and an understanding of the high level of professionalism that is needed in the hospitality industry. When attending conferences for associations, such as MPI and PCMA, you can truly see the difference between Rosen College students and those from other hospitality programs across the country.
q: How could the hospitality program have been better?
a: A mentoring program with Rosen alumni would be helpful to keep graduates involved, and would also benefit the students. Alumni could be a great resource for group project assistance, property tours and job opportunities. Shadowing an alumnus in his or her job and getting one-on-one advice would be beneficial, especially in these economic times. Also, I think the program should have additional focus more on sales, and other career options for event management graduates. The students need to know how to think outside the box as far as event management job options.
q: A UCF memory?
a: Planning and executing the event for the Orlando Business Journal's Top 25 Caterers, for Elise Enloe's class. We showcased the degree tracks at Rosen College by making each area of the campus focus on one of them, including events, golf and club, theme parks and restaurant management. Each area had coordinating food, floral designs, entertainment and decor. The event was a great success and I enjoyed working with such a passionate team of Rosen students.
q: Favorite meal in Orlando?
a: It is hard to choose a favorite but I love the Old Hickory Steakhouse at the Gaylord Palms, and Timpano Chop House.
q: On your iPod?
a: A little of everything. My favorites are Frank Sinatra, Lil Wayne, Phil Collins, Taylor Swift and anything Disney.
q: Little known fact about you?
a: My long-term goal is to open an Italian restaurant in memory of my grandparents. My grandparents immigrated from Italy to Miami where they owned and operated a small Italian restaurant. I plan to do this on a larger scale at the end of my career. This is more of a personal goal than a career goal, as it would be a combination of all my passions. I want to spend time compiling ideas and building a portfolio of the perfect restaurant and the ideal guest experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment