Friday, October 30, 2009

Brian Avery '07


President,
Event Safety & Security Services

Master of Science, Hospitality and Tourism Management '07

q: What do you do?
a: Consult with companies all over the U.S. on safety and security issues, specializing in hospitality and events. My clients have included GE/NBC Universal, SeaWorld, Give Kids the World and the New Mexico State Fair. Much of my time is spent traveling; for instance, I just did inspections in 15 different cities in a 10-day period. Additionally, I'm one of the few expert witnesses involved in lawsuits concerning incidents that have occurred on amusement rides and devices. I'm also a Rosen College professor; one of the courses I teach is Hospitality & Event Risk Management.
q: What's your favorite part of the job?
a: Solving problems. I enjoy putting plans together that will help save lives, and also encouraging my students to implement safety practices for their future employers. I feel that I'm creating a little army out there, teaching people in the industry about how to prevent injuries.
q: What's the greatest challenge?

a: Dealing emotionally with the injuries, especially those involving children concerning the accidents I investigate. I'm subjected to photo documentation of the accidents, and the story lines that come along with them. They can be a little overwhelming at times.
q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?
a: Leonard Pollard, M.S. '07.
q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?
a: Somewhere outside: at an art show, festival, event or Bucs game. I play soccer every Saturday morning.
q: Your biggest accomplishment since graduating, outside your career?
a: My family, which is an investment in time and energy. I have two boys, Dylan who is eight and Peyton who is five, plus a girl named Skyler who is three years old.
q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?
a: It taught me how to do investigative research and provided me with a solid foundation of the hospitality industry. I was already doing risk management, but the degree program helped me refine the direction for my company, and uncover areas that needed addressing within the hospitality industry.
q: How could the hospitality program have been better?
a: Back when I was at Rosen, it was more theoretical. Since then, they've introduced more internships, externships and real-life projects so students can better understand the concepts in the textbooks.
q: A UCF memory?
a: Taking my father to the Texas game, right after the new stadium opened.
q: Favorite meal in Orlando?
a: Raw oysters, shrimp and crab legs at J.B.'s Fish Camp in New Smyrna.
q: On your iPod?
a: Alternative Folk, which includes the Dave Matthews Band, Damian Rice and MGMT; also, Johnny Cash.
q: Little known fact about you?
a: I'm a painter. My first show will be in December at Stardust Video & Coffee in Winter Park. I also play the guitar.

No comments:

Post a Comment