Thursday, October 8, 2009

Mario Ponce '90

Founder and Principal,
Partners in Hospitality

q: What do you do?
a: I created Partners in Hospitality to help independent restaurant operators acquire services that larger operators provide (recruiting tools, business plans, marketing plans, operation plans, opening plans, growth plans, buying and selling, to name a few). Based out of Chicago, about 50% of our clients are multi-unit chain restaurants across the U.S. who see value in our service. Since my graduation from UCF, I worked at Hard Rock Café International, Planet Hollywood International, Park Grill at Millennium Park Chicago and Rosebud Restaurant Group.
q: What's your favorite part of the job?
a: There's never a dull moment. Making a difference in the lives of our clients and their guests is what makes this a rewarding and lucrative experience. I can’t remember the last time I complained…it’s been that much fun! Get this: it’s still a blast!
q: What's the greatest challenge?
a: The economy is like a huge ship…it won’t turn suddenly. Thus, everyone’s patience, including mine, is being tested. Convincing restaurant operators who have lofty dreams to temper their excitement and sales expectations is tough. Yet, that’s a big part of our role – help the operator and lead toward a path of reality and success. Easier said than done; fortunately, none of our clients (in four years) have failed.
q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?
a: When I graduated there were only 23 that walked (1990); Anthony Tesoriero, Ashok Arora, Nina Yon and Chris Cirulli are still in touch.
q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?
a: Hanging out with Kalea, my six year old girl, or reading, cooking, watching reality T.V. shows that involve the restaurant business (yes, even Hell's Kitchen), exercising, visiting every new restaurant that I possibly can, and hanging out with lifelong friends & family.
q: Your biggest accomplishment since graduating, outside your career?
a: Traveling through five continents and working in 20 different countries. My favorites places were: Australia, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Paris, Monte Carlo, London, Buenos Aires/Argentina, St. Thomas USVI, San Francisco and New York City. I currently reside in Chicago, an amazing world-class city. Also, hanging out with really cool people such as Alan Parsons, James Brown, Bo Diddly, Lisa Stansfield, Whitesnake, Meredith Brooks, Actor Chris O’Donnell, David Copperfield, Roger Clinton (Bill’s brother), Payne Stewart, Dave Mustaine/Megadeth, Blue Oyster Cult, George Benson, and so many more.
q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?
a: My education gave me confidence; my professors gave me hope; my friends gave me life; and my career has given me a beautiful life!
q: How could the hospitality program have been better?

a: I wish we had the new campus! We had classes in trailers. When the A/C wasn’t working, we’d look for a big tree and meet underneath it. Our Quantity Food Production courses were held in the UCF student cafeteria. Almost everyone in our class worked full-time; yet, we were all close and enjoyed the experience.

q: A UCF memory?
a: Our classes with celebrity chefs were amazing. Executive Chefs from Universal Studios and Ming Court allowed us to deliver a world class experience to nearly 100 guests. Thank you to Abe Pizam, Robert Ashley & Ady Milman for being such visionaries.
q: Favorite meal in Orlando?
a: Manny’s (it was a big deal then), Sonny’s BBQ (they were just getting started) and Hard Rock Café -- burgers, beer and rock & roll: what’s not to like?
q: On your iPod?
a: Every genre on earth … I love it ALL!
q: Little known fact about you?
a: I shoveled snow for 28 hours straight, attempting to beat a Guinness World Book record. I was only 14 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment