Thursday, October 29, 2009

Kristyn Rogers '08


Premium Sales Assistant,
ORLANDO MAGIC

2009 Eastern Conference Champions

q: What do you do?
a: I manage the day-to-day operations and appointment schedule for the Orlando Magic Experience Center located in Downtown Orlando. I also stage and set up the suites and other premium inventory that is used to sell to current and future season ticket holders. I assist with the contract submission for the luxury suites and legend suites as well as coordinate many social/business events and board meetings at the Experience Center.
q: What's your favorite part of the job?
a: My favorite part of being the Premium Sales Assistant is having the ability to build relationships with some of the season ticket holders and corporate partners that have supported this team from Day One. We're getting ready to make history in Orlando by moving into the most technologically-advanced building in North America and I'm so thrilled to be a part of this transition. Everyone is so excited and it's a joy to be around these fans and supporters everyday!
q: What's the greatest challenge?
a: The greatest challenge is managing all of the requests to use our fabulous space. The Experience Center is a state-of-the-art facility that allows for large groups to host functions and entertain their clients. As Amway Center is being constructed and taking shape, there is so much interest in what the new home for the Orlando Magic is going to be and we have the opportunity to give them a sneak peek into this remarkable facility.
q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?
a: I try to stay in touch with Rosen alumni as well as current Rosen students. It's always a joy to find out that the person you have been working with on an event had a class with you a few years ago. The hospitality industry is so diverse and there are so many people that I had graduated with that are doing so well, especially in this tough market. I'm very proud to be a Rosen alum and talk about the college every chance I get.
q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?
a: You'll find me cheering on the Orlando Magic at Amway Arena, or at a local sports bar watching the away games and Gator football. You could also find me roaming around Park Avenue or Millennia Mall on the weekends, spending time with friends and family in Jacksonville or checking my fantasy team and cheering on my players on Sundays.
q: Your biggest accomplishment since graduating, outside your career?
a: Moving into a place by myself. It's a huge step to take in the adult world and being able to support myself and pay my own bills is insanely gratifying. I'm working on finding the courage to participate in a 5K sometime soon, but I have to dust off my running shoes first, and find the time to really focus on training.
q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?
a: Rosen College helped me to come out of my shell and be more personable with people that I don't know. Starting a conversation with someone and being able to make a positive first impression is a quality that I never take for granted. Not only do I represent the Orlando Magic, I represent UCF and the Rosen College on a daily basis, and being a professional and service-minded individual is not something that was created at UCF, but it was definitely polished there, and I'm appreciative for that.
q: How could the hospitality program have been better?
a: The Rosen College has such a great program and it has gained a lot of momentum in the past few years. With all of the students interested in this field, I think it's important to be selective with the students that attend the college. Everyone has goals and wants to achieve them, and no one needs to have those goals hindered by less focused individuals.
q: A UCF memory?
a: Watching the Knights charge onto the field in the new Brighthouse Stadium was a terrific moment for UCF. We have so much pride in our athletic program and finally having a stadium on UCF’s campus was a great milestone. I'm so happy to have been there to witness the first game on our “home-field”.
q: Favorite meal in Orlando?
a: I recently ate at Kres Chophouse for the first time, and having the filet and all the trimmings followed with white chocolate bread pudding was by far one of the best meals I have had in Orlando.
q: On your iPod?
a: I have a little bit of everything on my MP3 player, but I mostly listen to country, pop rock and hip-hop. Everything from Phil Collins and Carol King to Britney Spears and Jason Aldean. I'm all over the board when it comes to music.
q: Little known fact about you?
a: I have over 50 pairs of shoes! It is a little ridiculous, but shoes can make an outfit go from cute to fabulous!

No comments:

Post a Comment