Thursday, November 12, 2009

Fabio Silva '05



Director of Sales and Marketing,
Bright Internet Marketing


q: What do you do?
a: Run an Internet marketing company. We provide consulting and tools to help companies move up the rankings in Google and other search engines. I worked in hotel operations for about seven years, at Gaylord Palms and then Reunion Resort, which is where I originally started a web site to help our concierge search out the best restaurants and businesses. When Reunion was sold, I launched my own company and recently expanded it beyond hospitality to include all businesses, and Florida Hospital is now one of our major clients. It was a quick ride from graduation to where I am today.
q: What's your favorite part of the job?
a: Interacting with people. One day I can be meeting with a doctor, and later with a small business owner who tells me the story of starting his or her company. 
q: What's the greatest challenge?
a: Cold calls. It's how I spend most of my time, typically prospecting Tuesday through Thursday. Monday I catch up on current business. Fridays I'll often golf with clients or prospective clients.
q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?
a: A large number of them, who still work at Gaylord Palms and Reunion Resort. Also Kathy King who works at Rosen College, and adjunct professors Judy Holcomb and Kris Shoemaker.
q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?
a: With my wife and my one year old son. They're why I do what I do.
q: Your biggest accomplishment since graduating, outside your career?
a: My family. My wife and I have been together 10 years this month. I'm blessed for what I have at home. Everyone needs a support system to be motivated to get up and go to work each day.
q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?
a: I was always two steps ahead. I already knew the technical side of working at a hotel, so became a manager while still going to UCF. I was then applying what I learned at UCF to become an even better manager.
q: How could the hospitality program have been better?
a: The co-op program didn't necessarily work for my situation since I worked the number of required internship hours in one semester, but still had to pay tuition for three semesters. Also, some of the required classes could be changed. For instance, food prep - I didn't need to learn to cook and won't use what I learned.
q: A UCF memory?
a: Playing on the UCF Men's Soccer team. It was an honor as an International student from Brazil to receive a soccer scholarship. Eventually I had to choose between the team and working full-time though. It was a step back to step forward.
q: Favorite meal in Orlando?
a: Steak - either Texas de Brazil or Old Hickory at Gaylord Palms. I'm simple when it comes to food.
q: On your iPod?
a: Everything...from Samba to Michael Jackson to Lady Gaga to Jason Mraz.
q: Little known fact about you?
a: I had reconstructive plastic surgery on my face. Playing soccer, I broke all the bones on the left side of my face. No one would ever guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment