Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Puja Sabnani '08



Group Reservations Coordinator,
JW Marriott Hotel Miami


q: What do you do?
a: I'm in charge of all group rooming lists for three properties: the JW Marriott Miami, Miami Marriott Dadeland and the Courtyard Miami Dadeland. I'm also involved with forecasting, evaluating group business, and assisting sales managers in quoting rates based on analysis of the hotel's occupancy.
q: What's your favorite part of the job?
a: Knowing that I have a team of people who will work together to make the hotel succeed. It's a joy to work with people who you know care about you, personally and professionally.  My department is very flexible and invested in my growth – both in the company and in the revenue industry. Outside my department, I have colleagues who often go the extra mile to help me with projects.
q: What's the greatest challenge?
a: Keeping rates high enough for our standard of hotel, yet competitive enough that groups don't choose other properties.
q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?
a: Melissa Glazier '06 and Lauren Frazer '08, not as many as I’d like ...
q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?
a: At the gym or at happy hour in Downtown Miami catching up with friends.
q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?
a: UCF taught me how to be independent yet know when to ask for help. The professors at Rosen College always had an open door policy. They were there for you when you needed them and served as a bouncing board for ideas. The hospitality industry is heavily-centered around teams and teamwork. By keeping my door open, and my mind open to new ideas and projects, I often find better ways to complete tasks, and am more willing to help others with their challenges. Having an open door/mind shows other people that you are willing to see things from their perspective and that there may be two correct approaches. It helps you gain the respect of veteran associates.
q: How could the hospitality program have been better?
a: I wish someone told me how important it was to join on-campus organizations. I was part of LEAD Scholars at UCF Main campus. Joining other groups could have significantly helped when it came to networking and finding employment. I really urge the undergraduates to join an association or organization where they can make and keep friends who will help them in the future. It’s extremely cliché but the more people you know in this industry, the better!
q: A UCF memory?
a: One of the best/craziest memories I have of UCF is tailgating in 104° weather for the first game of the season with the new stadium. I remember barbequing waffles on the grill on Memory Mall without a tent, lying under tables for shade and three of our friends getting heatstroke. Then at the game itself, the intensity and newness of it all was incredible. That football season was phenomenal. I will never be able to listen to Zombie Nation without wanting to jump up and down again.
q: Favorite meal in Orlando?
a: Thai in the Sky – the Thai Restaurant opposite UCF where Pie In the Sky used to be. Also, Tijuana Flats. They need to branch out to Miami, I’d single-handedly keep them in business—okay, so that’s exaggerating a tiny bit...
q: On your iPod?
a: Lady Gaga… or anything with a beat that gets you moving and grooving.
q: Little known fact about you?
a: I love listening to NPR news in the morning on my way to work. Nerdy, right?!.

No comments:

Post a Comment