Saturday, November 7, 2009

John Brooks '07



Sales Manager,
Hilton Orlando


q: What do you do?
a: I initiate new sales leads, prospect and qualify leads, solicit and entertain clients, conduct site visits, prepare proposals, determine rates and negotiate contracts for the brand new 1400-room Hilton Orlando which opened September 1, 2009. I started here in July and in just over 90 days was promoted from Conference Sales Manager to Sales Manager. 
q: What's your favorite part of the job?
a: I take pride in developing sales plans and strategies to meet or exceed revenue and room night goals. I like the fast pace, and interacting with people. Sales is a very high risk, high reward industry that I truly enjoy.
q: What's the greatest challenge?
a: The economy's killing face to face meetings. Executives are concerned with the perception of people inside and outside their organization when they invest in meetings, but in reality now is the time they need to get together and discuss how they can turn their companies around. The economy is also hurting rate integrity.
q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?
a: Brandon Geers '08 and Arin Sugerman Council '04.
q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?
a: Spending time with my fiancĂ© (Lucia Soven, UCF Radio/TV '06), playing golf or playing with my dog, Cody.
q: Your biggest accomplishment since graduating, outside your career?
a: Getting engaged and buying a house.
q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?
a: Public speaking helped prepare me for face-to-face interaction with clients and colleagues. All of the group work was so relevant because in the real world 90% of everything is done on a team, and it helps me work with my sales team every day.
q: How could the hospitality program have been better?
a: Hospitality is a broad subject. A wider variety of courses besides restaurants and hotels would have been refreshing. However, I was part of the inaugural group that took courses originally in the Classroom Building at Main Campus, and then moved over to the new Rosen College. Since then the enrollment has increased dramatically, so I'm sure there are more types of courses than when I attended.
q: A UCF memory?
a: Meeting my fiancé, spending time with friends and fraternity life (Lambda Chi). Also, meeting Donna Kelly from the Hilton Orlando. Donna came to speak to my Convention Sales course at Rosen College taught by Kathie Canning from the OCCC. I stayed after class and introduced myself. I stayed in touch and told her it was my goal to work at the Hilton Orlando. She's the Director of Sales who hired me and now I work with her every day.
q: Favorite meal in Orlando?
a: Texas de Brazil.
q: On your iPod?
a: I don't have an iPod. I'm too busy!
q: Little known fact about you?
a: It took me six years to graduate from UCF...never give up!

No comments:

Post a Comment