Friday, December 4, 2009

Jennifer Shepherd '05



Conference Coordinator,
Gaylord Palms Resort and Convention Center

Jennifer has two UCF degrees: B.A. Organizational Communication '05 and
M.S., Hospitality & Tourism Management '08

q: What do you do?
a: I act as the floor manager for meetings and conventions that come to the hotel, ensuring client satisfaction throughout all conference events. I serve as the liaison between the Meeting Planner, Convention Services Manager, Catering Manager, Conference Set Up, Banquets and all hotel departments. I ensure accuracy by checking room sets including lighting, audio visual, information technology, electric, temperature, cleanliness, equipment, food and beverage, and aesthetics.
q: What's your favorite part of the job?
a: Everything! Every day is different and I enjoy interacting with clients and working hard to make their events flawless. I also enjoy working with my co-STARs; the culture at Gaylord promotes FUN! I am privileged to work here with such an amazing team of people.
q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?
a: Amanda Larkin '08, Diana Duque '07, Jessica Baum '06, Lindsay Mays '08, Kristi Johnson Moschos '05, Lori Graham '06, Kara McClatchy '09, Ashley Wells M.S. '07, Taryn Aiello M.S. '08 and Paula Barnes M.S. '07.
q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?
a: With my boyfriend and my family.
q: Your biggest accomplishment since graduating, outside your career?
a: Since graduation I have been on the Executive Board of the Orlando Chapter of the National Association of Catering Executives (NACE), where I have been able to give back and support a group of people who supported me when I joined NACE as a student member in 2004. In 2009, I was the Public Relations Director and in 2010 I will serve as the Community Service/Fundraising Director. I am very proud of my accomplishments with NACE.
q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?
a: The Rosen College program allowed me to work full time and gain experience in the industry, while obtaining my education. This prepared me for the amount of time and energy that is required to be successful in the hospitality and event industries.
q: How could the hospitality program have been better?
a: My experience at UCF was always positive. I enjoyed my classes and built great relationships with my professors. Group projects were my biggest challenge because working with other student schedules and personalities can be difficult.
q: A UCF memory?
a: In 2005, I worked with three other students to plan Floribbean Fest. The event was awesome and I was very proud of what we accomplished and the money that we raised. The event was held at The Rosen College and was a major production. I also have fond memories of taking undergraduate classes at Main Campus. I consolidated my classes into two days so I could also work full-time, so I would literally spend 12 hours on campus. I loved sitting by the Reflection Pond!
q: Favorite meal in Orlando?
a: Sopa de Leon at Café Tu Tu Tango!
q: On your iPod?
a: Country!
q: Little known fact about you?
a: Another job I would love to have is as a professional organizer, working for Clean House on the Style Channel!

1 comment: