Monday, December 14, 2009

Raki Phillips '00



Area Director of Sales & Marketing,
Fairmont Hotels & Resorts


q: What do you do?
a: I oversee 12 hotel properties in various stages of development. I manage all sales and marketing teams across the continent in cities such as Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Cairo as well as properties under development on Dubai’s Palm Island, Saudi Arabia, Oman and several others. The third part of my role is pitching for new hotel developments and locations in key target markets.
q: What's your favorite part of the job?
a: Never a dull moment! Culturally I work in a very diverse part of the world and no two cities are ever the same. Whether it’s the laws, religious sensitivities, trends or just the way business is done, it truly is fascinating. Building a team that's as diverse as the culture our hotels are in is exciting. For example, the Fairmont Dubai is so multicultural we have colleagues from 42 different nationalities working there!
q: What's the greatest challenge?
a: Filling a hotel during peak season is easy… the biggest challenge is getting the right strategy both in marketing and sales to secure business during the slower periods, and ensuring you maintain a competitive edge.
q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?
a: Absolutely! Thanks to social media sites such as Facebook and MySpace, keeping in touch has never been easier.
q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?
a: Enjoying life in Dubai and the many exciting attractions it offers. I could be snowboarding down the slopes at SkiDubai, quad biking in the desert, dinner in downtown around Burj Dubai (the tallest building in the world) or enjoying Dubai's vibrant night life.
q: Your biggest accomplishment since graduating, outside your career?
a: Traveling the world and experiencing some amazing cultures and beautiful sites. Whether it was the pyramids in Cairo, Haga Sophia in Istanbul, riding the London Eye or watching a Formula One race in Abu Dhabi, each place left some fond unforgettable memories.
q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?
a: It was a great mix and balance of textbook theory and practical on the job training. The variety of courses covering wide spectrums of the industry made it very enjoyable and built my knowledge base.
q: How could the hospitality program have been better?
a: By offering more opportunities for international work placement or exchange programs with other hospitality schools around the world.
q: A UCF memory?
a: A Food Prep class we took with Dr. Ashley. I had the great opportunity to prepare and serve a five course meal for Mayor Glenda Hood and other dignitaries on campus. 'Till this day I can still impress people with my 3-Tier rice!
q: Favorite meal in Orlando?
a: Stallone’s Chicken Penne Pasta in Pink Crème Sauce… just make sure you don’t lick the plate in public!
q: On your iPod?
a: Jay Z, Black Eyed Peas, John Mayer, Counting Crows and Notorious BIG are on constant rotation.
q: Little known fact about you?
a: I’m an adrenaline junkie thanks to my seven years working at Universal Orlando. I was an avid user of all the roller coasters and now regularly quad bike. I’ve even sky dived!

2 comments:

  1. Good interview! Last year I was in vacation tour with my family in London. We got much fun and many attractions there, very beautiful city. This year I'm thinking to have a vacation in Dubai. I'm starting to look for more information in the web about what we can do and see there. So, if you can give me some info, I'll be very glad:) Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good choice… Dubai is a great vacation spot! Drop me an email on raki.phillips@fairmont.com & I'll be more than happy to make recommendations & assist you in any way.
    All the best,
    RAKI PHILLIPS

    ReplyDelete