Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Laurell Shaffer '06


Account Executive,
Eventbrite


q: What do you do?
a: Sell Eventbrite, an online registration and ticketing solution, to event holders of all types. I work with a full spectrum of events including concerts, festivals, tradeshows, and conferences.
q: What's your favorite part of the job?
a: Being a part of something new, Eventbrite is a start-up so it’s fresh and exciting. We're growing at a rapid pace and things are constantly changing so there is always a buzz around the office. I also love that we have a very transparent culture so I get to see how decisions are made and why. Unlike some of the more corporate positions I’ve held, my feedback and opinions are valued and used to create the processes we set for the future development of our team.
q: What's the greatest challenge?
a: Everything is constantly changing and a lot of the judgments I make are subjective. It keeps the work interesting and keeps me on my toes. We're updating and adding features to the Eventbrite site all the time, so there's always something new to learn or show to clients.
q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?
a: Some, I’ve moved around a bit since leaving UCF so it can be challenging staying in touch with everyone while 3,000 miles away. My best friends are UCF alumni and I always love coming back to visit, especially for events like Homecoming.
q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?
a: Taking advantage of all the San Francisco culture! I live in an amazing city with so much diversity; there's never a dull moment. The summer festival season (especially Bay to Breakers) is by far my favorite!
q: Your biggest accomplishment since graduating, outside your career?
a: Being completely independent. I came to San Francisco alone for a job I was unsure of and created a new life away from all my family and friends. Two years later I love where I am and would never change my decision to try something new.
q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?
a: While Eventbrite is ultimately a tech company, it parallels hospitality in many ways. The hands-on work at Rosen led me to several hotel positions that developed my selling skills, event production knowledge and eventually brought me to Eventbrite.
q: How could the hospitality program have been better?
a: I would have liked to be a part of Rosen when the campus was fully developed with dorms and everything it has now. The campus was only about a year old when I started going out there so I commuted from Main Campus.
q: A UCF memory?
a: All the times spent with friends….Spirit splash, football games at the Citrus Bowl, live music Downtown at The Social, Homecoming Skit Knights, Wackadoo's.
q: Favorite meal in Orlando?
a: Tijuana Flats.
q: On your iPod?
a: It changes constantly but some of my consistent favorites are the Killers, Kings of Leon, DMB, Jason Mraz, The Cab, Jack’s Mannequin, and Journey.
q: Little known fact about you?
a: I attended a performing arts high school as a dance major.

1 comment: