Tuesday, December 1, 2009

John Byers '05

Guest Services Manager,
Walt Disney World


q: What do you do?

a: On a typical day, I manage 100 cast members at Disney's Hollywood Studios, giving them the resources so they can take great care of our guests. A total of nine managers on my team manage 300-500 total cast members. I've worked at Disney for seven years, including being the Theater Manager at La Nouba at Downtown Disney. I've worked at all Orlando area parks except Epcot.
q: What's your favorite part of the job?
a: The experience we give people. They work hard to save up all year for a vacation they'll never forget. It makes me so happy to see kids come off a ride, excited as can be, saying it's their favorite ride ever.
q: What's the greatest challenge?
a: Things that are out of our control. For example, inclement weather can cause us to cancel shows and not live up to guest expectations.
q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?
a: A large number of current Rosen College students work at Hollywood Studios.
q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?
a: Hospitality plays a huge part in my life. I just went to Vegas to see what's happening out there. When I'm not working, I'm often at the other theme parks, or even at Disney.
q: Your biggest accomplishment since graduating, outside your career?
a: Learning about life and living a balanced life, and being where I want to be. I bought a house and a car.
q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?
a: Professor Ron Logan was very inspirational to my career since he worked at Disney for over 20 years. Across the board it made an impact that our instructors had previously worked or currently worked in the field of interest they taught; for instance, our hospitality law class was taught by an adjunct professor who was a full-time attorney. It makes a difference. Also, it was an amazing learning environment to have actual resorts and golf courses as close as 100 yards from campus.
q: How could the hospitality program have been better?
a: It may be different now, but the classes offered could fall under a larger umbrella of hospitality. For instance, several cruise lines have launched multiple new ships. There should be a variety of classes to take in cruise line management, to be fully prepared and attractive to employers in that industry.
q: A UCF memory?
a: Meeting people who are literally legends of hospitality, both visitors to campus and the professors. Ron Logan is forever enshrined by Disney, with a window on Main Street. He is the producer and director of shows I work at now.
q: Favorite meal in Orlando?
a: The Melting Pot.
q: On your iPod?
a: A huge diverse list of songs they play on the radio, especially new stuff. I definitely don't listen to what I hear at work - I can hear the songs from the High School Musical show literally six times a day.
q: Little known fact about you?
a: I became an Eagle Scout at only 13 years old. I was an overachiever.

No comments:

Post a Comment