Wednesday, December 9, 2009

John Giordano '94



Assistant General Manager, San Diego Office
Freeman

q: What do you do?
a: I work for Freeman, the world’s largest provider of integrated services for face-to-face marketing events, including conventions, exhibitions and corporate events. I began my 15 year career with them in Orlando, moved to San Francisco in 2000 and have held various positions in operations, sales and management. I moved to the San Diego office in 2004 as Director of Sales and I currently oversee the day to day operations as the Assistant General Manager.
q: What's your favorite part of the job?
a: Every day is a challenge and my responsibilities change from one day to the next. One day I could be out selling our services to prospective customers and the next producing their event, which is always in a new city and venue, and the next day negotiating union contracts, or performing my management duties in the office. I’m seldom doing any one thing in any one place for very long, which helps keep things fresh and interesting. I get to wear a lot of different hats and the company has given lots of opportunities to grow and advance, as well as travel around the country.
q: What's the greatest challenge?
a: Bringing all the elements of event production together to produce World Class events with an exceptional level of customer service. It’s a very demanding, fast-paced business with many moving parts. We work long hours under pressure to produce successful events for our customers. We set them up and tear them down and are on to the next event, usually without much of a break in between. It’s definitely not boring, which why I’ve stuck with it for the last 16 years.
q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?
a: Not since I moved to the West Coast, but I keep do keep in touch with Scott Kaylor '93.
q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?
a: Out surfing.
q: Your biggest accomplishment since graduating, outside your career?
a: Convincing my wife to marry me.
q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?
a: The hospitality program introduced me to the somewhat invisible service contracting side of the convention and tradeshow industry. I originally entered the program thinking I would be a hotelier. The exposure to other avenues through the curriculum took me in another direction, as did the internship program. Once I identified that I wanted to focus on convention services I took the courses and co-op opportunities that helped focus me in that direction. The course content in the convention services and other classes gave me a broad base of knowledge that was very relevant and I still use the things I learned to this day.
q: How could the hospitality program have been better?
a: The biggest step towards improving the program was already taken shortly after I graduated when the program was moved from the College of Health and Public Affairs to the College of Business. Involving more guest speakers from the industry will add some color to the course curriculum, including alumni with industry experience.
q: A UCF memory?
a: The trip with Dr. Quain and some of the convention services students to PCMA in Chicago. Picture a bunch of Floridians in Chicago in January, in 60 below zero weather! I made some great industry connections that helped me get a job after graduation.
q: Favorite meal in Orlando?
a: Bonefish.
q: On your iPod?
a: Anything I can get my hands on. I love music and have a very extensive and diverse collection.
q: Little known fact about you?
a: I love to travel and in the past few years have been to Indonesia, Singapore, Australia and El Salvador.

No comments:

Post a Comment