Monday, December 7, 2009

Mark Williams '06



Director of Training and Development,
Coakley & Williams Hotel Management Company


q: What do you do?
a: This is a family business that was started by my grandfather back in 1961. I do several training programs for the 24 properties in our portfolio. Some of these we have created in-house and others we have received through the American Hotel and Lodging Association. I'm currently developing a new front desk training program that I am super excited about! I'm also a member of an organization called CHART (Council of Hotel and Restaurant Trainers) and I am on the council for the AHLA Under 30 Gateway. I am hoping to get a Florida chapter started for the Under 30 Gateway soon!
q: What's your favorite part of the job?
a: I really enjoy spending time with our employees. We have so many great people working for us, and I think that it's awesome just to sit down and listen to their stories. I also enjoy traveling and having the opportunity to visit so many unique places. We live in an awesome country!
q: What's the greatest challenge?
a: I'm the only one in my department. Trying to get out to visit all our properties and to do training can be difficult. There are also the typical challenges that revolve around communication and accountability.
q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?
a: There are several friends of ours that we see from time to time. We also stay in contact through the various social networking sites. I actually married a UCF hospitality alum, Stephanie Lebby Williams '06, so there's at least one that I see very often!
q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?
a: Doing one of three things: Working on homework (I am working on getting my MBA), reading, or walking around the parks that surround the intercoastal with my lovely family.
q: Your biggest accomplishment since graduating, outside your career?
a: I cannot think of a bigger accomplishment than marrying the love of my life and bringing a beautiful baby into the world with her. This January we will be married for three years and our son will be a year old in February. Time flies!
q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?
a: UCF gave me a good base to start my career. Through the hospitality management program, I learned the fundamentals. Graduating from Rosen also helped give a boost to my credentials as I stepped into the organization I work for now.
q: How could the hospitality program have been better?
a: I think more classes on sales and how to sell would be very valuable to the program. Learning these skills, in addition to public speaking, will be helpful assets in the business world.
q: A UCF memory?
a: There was an event at Rosen and I cannot for the life of me remember the name of it. It had a Bahamian theme to it and there were a lot of fun activities going on that evening. It stands out as a good example of how fun college is and how much you miss it once you graduate.
q: Favorite meal in Orlando?
a: One of them would definitely be a hot slice (only one needed!) of Lazy Moon pizza.
q: On your iPod?
a: We have an iTouch and my wife actually uses it the most. I would put artists like Coldplay, Ben Folds, or the Killers on it.
q: Little known fact about you?
a: Most people do not know that I have written a lot of poetry. I published a book several years ago full of stuff that I had put together when I was in high school. Since then I have created two full books of poetry that could also be published.

No comments:

Post a Comment